what is hyperthreading?

Status
Not open for further replies.
if you have an Hyperthreading CPU you can either enable/disable it within the BIOS

if your CPU is not Hyperthreading capable, you do not have the option to use it or not because you do not have it.

here's a really simple way to explain it:
Hyperthreading makes a single core CPU pretend to be a dual core CPU

it is nowhere near as effective as actually having a dual core CPU though.

if you have an Hyperthreading CPU you can either enable/disable it within the BIOS

if your CPU is not Hyperthreading capable, you do not have the option to use it or not because you do not have it.

i dont see the option anywhere in my BIOS but on CPUZ it says i have 1 core and 1 thread so that means i got to have HT enabled?

can someone help me check if the opteron 144 have HT?

100MHz? LMAO1!
Lets get this straight:
Hyperthreading or Hyperthreading Technology (HTT) is an "implement" by Intel for some of their line of Pentium 4's, thus giving the name Pentium 4 w/HT. There is a similar implement on AMD's side of the bargain, ironically name Hyper Transport (HT).
HyperTransport is nothing like HyperThreading

don't AMD have a imitated version of hyperthreading called hypertransport?

No. AMD's is not an imitation. It's something totally different.

HyperTransport - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

HyperTransport is a replacement for the Front Side Bus that Intel still uses.

Here's a quote from this forum
AMD Hypertransport vs Intel Htperthreading... « Geek Speak

Hyperthreading is a technology which allows the computer to be working on more than one program (called a thread) at the same time. This differs from the traditional concept of "multi-tasking" because of the following: whereas in a multi-tasking operating system (Windows, Linux, etc.) it appears that multiple programs are running at the same time, they're really not. What's happening is the computer is working on one program for 1/1,000th of a second, then it switches to another and runs it for 1/1,000th of a second, then it switches to the third, etc. So, typically only a few dozen programs are running so each of them receive a large amount of the timeslice per unit time. That makes it appear like they're all running at the same time.

What HyperThreading does is actually run more than one thread at the same time. This has an advantage over single-thread machines (ones without HyperThreading--including AMD's chips), because it is recognized that even in running the most optimized bits of code using all of the resources today's out-of-order execution engines can throw at the it, there are still unused functional units within the processor core. These unused functional units could potentially be used by a second thread. Not always, but potentially. Even if the leftover units are only able to be used 10% of the time, that's a 10% increase in performance.

HyperThreading typically doesn't add much to most code, and it usually eats some overhead to maintain (internally, the operating system must keep track of where each thread is, where it's running, how long to schedule, etc.). It's generally a wash. But, there are instances where it provides significant performance increases (70%+ increase), and other instances where it hurts performance (by 30% or more).

HyperTransport is a bus technology. It is used to transfer data from a chip to other chips or other parts on the motherboard. HyperTransport is multi-ported, meaning that it can be operating several buses simultaneously at full bandwidth.

Generally speaking, a faster FSB speeds up everything. Faster processors only take you so far because nearly everything processor does is fed by external sources, thereby requiring the bus.

100MHz? LMAO1!
Lets get this straight:
Hyperthreading or Hyperthreading Technology (HTT) is an "implement" by Intel for some of their line of Pentium 4's, thus giving the name Pentium 4 w/HT. There is a similar implement on AMD's side of the bargain, ironically name Hyper Transport (HT).

heh. your friendly neighborhood amd fanatic here was wondering who (if anyone...apokalipse was my first wager) was going to catch this before i had time to come put the

hammer.png

down. good job disillusion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom