What should i be getting ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oreo

-Deactivated-
I want to restrain and prevent myself from over-overclockling my CPU and burning it up, so what should i be aiming to get with the following.

E6300
Arctic Freezer Pro 7
MX-1 Pad and/or AS5
Gigabyte P35C-DS3R
One stick of 1GB Elixir PC 5300 Ram, one stick of 1GB Kingston Value PC5300 Ram.

I just want to know so i dont try and push my system to much.

It really depends on your temps, CPU, and how good you are at OCing. People have hit 3.6 with that CPU before, so it just depends on temps. Make sure you watch them.

you wont "burn it up" if you dont increase the voltage too much.
set the shut down temp to a much lower temp (ie from 90* to 65*) in your bios if you are worried.

Ive been told my cooler is very good, and ive got pretty much the best motherboard and thermal paste, and normally my CPU runs 20 degrees C with stock fan, with the new mobo i should also be able to run both 12cm case fans. Cooling 'shouldnt' be that much of an issue, as it'll be around 15 degrees unclocked, giveing me lots of room.

It was more my ram thats prohbiting me i would of thought considering there both different brands, and its 667, and its cheep. I was thinking my limit would be around 2.5Ghz.

Is it best to lower ram timings as much as possible ? when will i know i need to raise CPU voltage ?

Also my PSU is only a cheep (£40) NorthQ 400W, im running one hard drive, one optical drive, the motherboard, X1950pro, 2 sticks of ram and the E6300. Will PSU prohibit me (for some reason ?) from overclocking to much ?

15*C...? where do you live? thats 59*F, and unless you got an ac unit blasting on it, i dont think it will get that cold. i could be wrong, if you live in a really cool part of the world.
your ram timings should stay as low as possible, but the tighter they are, the lower your overclock. so, the looser they are, the higher possible overclock. your clock speed 9 times out of 10 is more important than ram timings or speed, unless you are a benchmark junkie.
leave them loose and ramp up the processor.
i just like to tighten my timings so much because i like to brag about it, lol.
you will know it is time to raise cpu voltage:
a) when it wont run stability tests
b) after you get the hang of it and how your mobo/ram/cpu work...if it wont boot.
thats how i know i have to up the voltage, i know how they act when it is too low.

I live in england. I must have an unusaly cool E6300, because it runs at 20 Degrees with fan at 1700RPM (80 percent)... and thats with a load of crap *** cooling.

What do you mean by tighter and looser and all that crap. So your telling me 9 times out of 10 RAM timings don't matter ?

By the way, i mean hopefully it'll run 15 degrees before its overclocked, incase you thought i meant overclocked.

I live in england. I must have an unusaly cool E6300, because it runs at 20 Degrees with fan at 1700RPM (80 percent)... and thats with a load of crap *** cooling.

What do you mean by tighter and looser and all that crap. So your telling me 9 times out of 10 RAM timings don't matter ?

By the way, i mean 20 degrees before its overclocked, incase you thought i meant overclocked.

Tightening your Ram means getting it to a lower speed and accessing the files quicker. Loosening your Ram means getting it to a higher speed and accessing the files slower or vice versa. I forgot, b1gapl explained this to me yesterday, lol.

tight= 3-3-3-9-1T @ a speed a little lower than its rated speed.
loose = 5-5-5-15-2T @ a speed possibly a whole lot higher than its stock speed.
good ram will run tight timings (3 or 4 cas) at close to its stock speed, usually will run 4 a little above.
my gskill HZ and corsair XMS2 will run well over 1000mhz with 5 timings (loose). get it?
and yes, 9/10 ram timings are not as important as how high you can get the frequency. ie 3-3-3-9-1T running at 730mhz is not any faster than 5-5-5-15-2T running at 950-1000mhz. usually the loose timings/ high frequency will do better on benchmarks such a s super pi. tight/low timings do better on memory benchmarks.
overall performance, i prefer to run as tight as possible, you dont have to up the voltage much, if at all, above stock. sometimes you can run it below factory specs, if you keep the speed below said specs.
cool ram is happy ram.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom