Cannot boot my computer from original xp cd

Status
Not open for further replies.
You did a fresh install and are getting the blue screen of death? Thats not good. maybe try reinstalling your windows, (since you've already formatted drive). Also, there are not any funny noises from the drive are there?

Try using a low-level formatter, Darik's Boot and Nuke will do it, but make sure that only the drives you want formatted are hooked up. (i.e. if you have a flash drive, floppy drive, or secondary hard drive, take them out/unplug them.)

Having everything on one partition should not hurt anything.

edit -- there is a linux tool called gparted, and there are windows utilities as well, such as Norton's Partition Magic. gedit is free, Norton's costs money. Look into Gparted or Ranish Partition Manager (both are freeware)

you f up. I would have told you to get an erd commader 2005 cd. I just fix a computer like that today.

also next time install windows into a folder called XP (leave the windows folder alone). then back your data up then delete that partition

I have now got erd cd, how do i use the tools? also, when you install, is there an option to install to an xp folder?

the erd cd would had let you use windows system restore to restore you computer back to a time that it was working. it won't help you now if you deleted your 1st system.

that xp trick won't help you either now if you deleted it.

oh well, at least I have it now. So how can I fix this blue screen bizz. I dont really wanna reinstall xp again. by the way, i had a few problems reinstalling the first time. during install, there was a file missing and asked me if id like to skip in which i did and installed xp. Would this cause the blue screen error?

during install, there was a file missing and asked me if id like to skip in which i did and installed xp. Would this cause the blue screen error?

Yes, that would do it....

Try running Windows repair and see if you can get the file back. If not, then eat a few hrs of your time and reinstall it. You have not activated the windows yet, (since you haven't even got into windows yet), so you should have no problems. (at least as long as your using a legal copy of Windows XP).

If your using a factory build, then try the restore disks.

Hay there, yes i have activated it with orginal xp cd. are there install limits? When i installed, nothing really happened so i registered/activated via internet. then all **** broke lose. So I mite reinstall, maybe give the cd a wipe and try my luck again. Should i?

oh well, at least I have it now. So how can I fix this blue screen bizz. I dont really wanna reinstall xp again. by the way, i had a few problems reinstalling the first time. during install, there was a file missing and asked me if id like to skip in which i did and installed xp. Would this cause the blue screen error?

never skip a file. that came from 3 different things. a cheap cd rom drive, a scratched xp cd or bad ram.

Microsoft keeps track of how many times a key is used, and what hardware goes with it. There is somesort of point system and once too many points are ranked up, you have to call them to activate the key again. I've personally never had this happen, but I have heard that it does.

Biggest thing is if you start switching hardware alot, or installing the same OS on multiple machines. used to be that if you just switched MBs you would have to call microsoft, but I heard they have loosed the regulations.

Although I'm sure they are mostly focused on vista right now.

I would try reformatting and then reinstalling. (I'm surprised that the errors started happening only after you activated it, but yea, don't skip files this time.)

Well its either reinstall or get to stare at a blue screen all day.

edit -- actually that last part is probably not true, there might be a way to fix it without reinstalling, but if its just a fresh install anyway, its better to reinstall it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom