Vista : Error 1402

Status
Not open for further replies.

strategist333

In Runtime
I keep getting this error when I try to install Visual C++ Express 2005 on my Vista Premium, admin account:

Could not open key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\CLSID\{3C9CFE1E-389F-4118-9FAD-365385190329}\InprocServer32\7.0.3300.0. Verify that you have sufficient access to that key, or contact your support personnel.

The same error (but obviously a different registry location) pops up when I try to install Vista Codec Package. As it is designed for Vista, I think it is something wrong with my computer. Also, I use Winamp, and even though I have all the file associations set to Winamp, all of them still open in Windows Media Player. When I go to Vista's Default Programs, I notice that all the boxes for Windows Media Player are checked and grayed out, meaning I can't remove the file associations. It used to be able to let me select which associations I wanted. (If this will help, I've also noticed that Windows Media Player does not play the video portion of files any more, reading only the audio portion; the files work in three other media players, so the files are intact--what's worse, WMP used to work with videos! Maybe something happened with the registry?)

I've tried everything I can. Anyone else have this problem?

I've only used Vista for maybe 10 hours total, but try to turn off UAC, it affects admin accounts as well. I think it's in Control Panel some where.

As for the media, download the correct codecs. Maybe xvid or divx? Those are two of the most popular 3rd party codecs.

No, the file it can't read is wmv (Windows Media Video). And I know for a fact it is not encoded with DivX or Xvid. UAC is disabled, I tried in the Administrator account and even tried to log in to SYSTEM, although Vista changed things from XP so I can't do that any more. I can't do System Restore since I deleted the old restore files, and now I can't install many programs..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom