Is Vista with the 64 bit architecture even out yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AtomicAudio

Baseband Member
Hello, i come here confused about whether or not Windows Vista with the 64 bit architecture is released yet... i called Dell to specify whether or not their Vostro line offered it because it didnt mention what type... And on the HP site, Pavilions have an option for the 64 bit architecture for an extra 183 dollars or so. The Dell tech support wasnt really sure of himself...
Im looking for a laptop with Windows Vista 64 bit edition.

Why would you need the 64 bit edition? It has a lack of driver and support. As of now, it's not needed, unless you're using more than 2GBs of RAM.

HI ATOMICAUDIO!!

Hello,

Yes, Windows Vista x64 is available.

Personally I wouldn't get 64 bit Vista because I don't need it. However, if you're going to purchase a new laptop which has Vista x64 installed, then at least all the hardware devices on the laptop will have 64 bit driver support. It's just that you might not be able to find 64 bit drivers for any additional hardware that you'll want to plug up to the system (such as webcams, USB TV tuners etc...).

HP notebooks are excellent when it comes to Vista 64 bit driver support. They provide Vista 64 bit drivers for all their current laptops.

I have been using xp x64 for about two years now. There really isn't any problems finding drivers to be honest. Maybe once, when I first started using it, I had a problem with a printer. About a month later HP came out with a x64 driver that allowed network use as well as USB use.

More people need to hop on the x64 band wagon so we can get more x64 optimized apps goin' on :)

I'm a XP pro x64 user and I did have trouble finding my webcam drivers, and I actually still can't use it. I've also had some trouble finding various compatible versions of free software. But, I also notice improved performance in comparison to 32 bit, so I guess it's a trade-off.

That's weird, most everything works except for maybe in rare cases hella old stuff (<1995) that no one wants to use anyway. What is your webcam, I'll find you a working driver. :)

If you could I would be incredibly happy. It's a logitech quickcam messenger. I must admit I haven't looked too hard beyond just typing it into the logitech website.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom