RAM and paging

Status
Not open for further replies.

OnlyCurious

Daemon Poster
I saw a thread where a moderator was talking about this... I wanted ask in that thread but didn't want to switch the topic.

How do you disable paging? OR set the paging memory lower. And what happens if you disable paging and you use up all your 2gb memory of RAM?

My computer has 2gb of RAM and it's paging 920MB right now, and I only have Internet Explorer Windows open... with couple small vids and I played a low quality video game.

So how do you disable paging..?

I'm not sure if you should disable paging. To change it or lower it...right click my computer > advanced > performance settings > advanced tab > and then click change, under virtual memory. It is recommended that you have the paging file, in another hard drive or partitions, besides the one containing your OS. When you do this, select the hard drive or partition you want it to be in. Then select Custom size, and I guess set it to the recommended size, they mention on the bottom. Also set the initial size and maximum size to the same value, so it doesn't have to resize often.

I do it, but only cause i have 4GB. Im actually suprised it works for you Apok. I think 2GB would be the bare minimum you could use, but i have no problems, and in games like oblivion (which used to load alot from the page file on my old pc) it really makes a difference.

i have 2 gig of rams.i tweak on virtual memory many times but why dont i feel the kick as in the pc being faster?how you guys felt that?and also i feel that without paging,my system seems to be not that stable..

i have 2 gig of rams.i tweak on virtual memory many times but why dont i feel the kick as in the pc being faster?how you guys felt that?and also i feel that without paging,my system seems to be not that stable..

There is no kick in performance you will feel.

All the page file does is use a small portion of the HDD so if you load something into the ram that is bigger than how much ram you have, it just loads into the this small page file.

The thing is, the read/write time to the HDD is MUCH slower than RAM, and so if a program does access the page file, it is alot slower. So in the case of oblivion for me, my old comp only had 1GB and would use the page file for loading new ares - the result - SLOW...

I just smooths some things out for loading, nothing else really...well in my understanding.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom