Cannot boot my computer from original xp cd

Status
Not open for further replies.

joshy28

Solid State Member
Hi, for some reason my computer will not boot. it gets so far then says that wimdows/system32/system is missing. try R with cd rom - or something like that. I tried reinstalling and repairing the computer with the original cd but it gets so far and stalls. when i press R to repair it asks me to press a number, i press 1, then it wont do anything more. It just stalls. when i try reinstalling xp, it asks me to press F8 if i agree to the terms then it says its looking for previous Operating systems then it stays like that and wont go any further than that action. What must I do?? can someone help me?

id format the hard drive first
either use BOOT floppys or download one of those ALL in one boot disks with partition software on it and boot that way hen format the hard drive then boot the XP disk ans install

ok download this
Ultimate Boot CD - Download the UBCD
its an ISO burn the ISO using some burning software like Nero or whatever, make sure you burn it as an image not just "drag the file on the disk and hit burn", then pop that disk in your broken comp and boot, when it loads enter hard disk tool boot a hard drive tool and format your hard drive ( delete partition and then remake one , make the size teh whole disk it will probably have that in the window by defualt) after you remade the partition exit and boot you windows XP CD then install as normal.
Formating/Partitioning hard drives can take a while 30mins-2hours so be patient

um... i hope you didn't get too far in formatting.. sometimes that error is linked to a damaged boot.ini file, (which is an easy fix and can be done with a text editor and a linux live boot disk, or anything else that gives you access to the HDs files and a text editor to use to manipulate them.)

I had this problem earlier, it popped up that error, then a hal.sys file error, I changed the boot.ini file to point back to my windows partition, and it was fixed.

But formatting will definantly work, and it sounds like you are having a bit more of a problem then I was, as I could get to the repair part of the XP CD boot.

I have it fixed now, and i am currently on my computer now. but I am having more problems. Sometimes it will restart randomly (blue screen and also system error), the message says that it is hardware or drivers. Im sure it cant be drivers, so how do i check wot hard ware is causing the problem?

oh and I forgot to partition my harddrive. so i am stuck with a C drive that is 180 GB. Is this still okay? is there a way to partition it within windows xp without losing data?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom