Video Card Driver problems?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Woden

Solid State Member
Yesterday I installed XP Home SP2 on a new hard drive and went on to install the drivers for all of my components. However when I attempted to install the Forceware driver for my GeForce 6800 GS the partway through the installation the screen started to flicker on and off. It did this for about 10 seconds going blank for a few seconds at a time. After the period of flickering It said that I needed to restart the computer... So I hit ok restart now, but a few seconds after I hit it the computer froze completely. After it froze I had to do a hard restart. I turned it back on and now the comp is making a clicking sound and it pauses for 10-15 seconds every time I try to open start, right click on anything, etc. I tried to reinstall the driver a second time and got the same result. Could this be from the forceware driver I tried to install? Or is it something else. THX for any help.

AMD Athlon 64 3000+
WD 250 GB HDD - XP installed
WD 80 GB HDD - Empty
GeForce 6800 GS
ForceWare version 94.24
K8v SE Deluxe Mobo
1024 mb ram

Hello,

Where is the clicking sound coming from? Is it a sound out of the ordinary and did you just hear it once...or is it a constant / recurring sound?

If your hard drive / one of your hard drives is making a clicking sound, it may be an indication that it is failing. In this instance, if you have any important data on that hard drive, you need to back it up.

I'm sure this could be the hard-drive that is doing the clicking sound. When I had my Maxtor 300GB, tried to install BL Windows SP2, it flickered my screen 3-4 times then it restarted automatically. That is when I was trying to install the BL Windows SP2. Went to return it and bought a new Seagate 300GB SATA and everything worked perfectly. Maybe I should have restarted my BIOS. But oh wells, it's working perfectly find now!

The clicking occurs whenever I try to do an action on the computer. The 80 gb hard drive is the original drive and it has been in the computer since 2005, but it isn't the drive i'm running xp off of. The one I have xp on is a brand new 250 gb western digital EIDE so I don't think it should be failing... either way I have nothing on either drive so I don't care if one of them fails. This problem has occurred before and I was told by a friend of mine that it was probably just a problem with the master boot record and all I needed to do to fix it was format the drives with fdisk... but I did that and its still happening. I must emphasize that it happened only after I tried to install the Nvidia Forceware Driver before that there was absolutely no problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom