PSU SATA connectors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paisan

In Runtime
Are there any cost effective psu's out there with more than 4 sata connectors? It seems the vast majority under $100 only have 3 sata and a handful at $99 to $149 have 4, but in order to get more than that the prices go up. Am I missing something here or does that just have to do with the ammount of wattage needed to power that many sata?

That Fortron is a pretty nice psu. Really is a shame that it isn't modular. The top fan on my case would be totally block by that many cables. Out of all the components I have worked through for my new build, I am having the most trouble selecting a good psu.

My concern about adapters is with overall voltage requirements. As the number of SATA's seems to be somewhat tied to that. Are there potentially adverse effects by using adapters (slower throughput, voltage fluctuations, etc.)?

Depends on the quality of the adapter, base quality of the power supply.. it is true about the more connections the power goes through the less that is actually transferred (volt wise).

Modular psu's really arent that good.

I've been reading quite abit about them lately and they have improved dramatically, but nonetheless you are right. You are automatically adding another connection point and that can bring up a bevy of issues over the long term.

I still have two weeks before I make my final decisions and this is the one area I am still unsure of what direction I am going. Ironically most people (outside these forums) never give psu's a second thought and I am practically busting a vessel in my forehead over it, lol.

I think people should give them more thought, considering they are the heart of your computer, a strong heart is the most important part.

How many sata plugs you need?

so true.

Well, I will be using 3 when I post and I have plans to add additional components down the road. Most of the recommended psu's here only have 4 and only having the one spare doesnt give me much of a comfort level. I am a gadget geek and there are a lot of things I would like to play around with once I get this computer up and running.

In all honesty, I am sure 4 will do me fine for a few months. I just dont want to start degrading the psu I will have at that time or have to turn around and buy another one in 6 months. I am simply just trying to plan ahead.

For instance, I will be doing a lot of burning in the near future and when I add that second CD/DVD drive I will have used up the 4th and last available SATA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom