Buying a New Computer ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
It will most likely be a crappy Dell brand mobo and it will not be very good or compatible. The reason why they don't tell you about the mobo or the power supply is that they are so **** that they don't want to put you off.

Ah, fair enough! That does make sense.

With regards to the CPU, will an Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 be sufficient? I enjoy multitasking (alt+tabbing when I shouldn't, etc) and running RTS, strategy and RP games mainly. Basically, what I'm asking is, will this processor do everything I want it to do smoothly?

The e6600 is a very powerful CPU. Handles anything right now, very easily. Especially when overclocked.

The e6600 is a very powerful CPU. Handles anything right now, very easily. Especially when overclocked.

Great!

Well, I've been doing some searching recently, trying to build a system ... I'm starting to learn a few things. During my search, however, I found this pre-built Novatech machine ... I've checked out all the components and they seem to add up to a similar price of the pre-built machine. I can't see how I could build a better system with less or the same amount of money ... what do you guys think?

(Thanks for all your help so far!)

The RAM will be poor, the PSU likewise, the chipset for the MOBO is outdated and the GFX is underpowered. 'nuff said.

Anyway you will feel good when you look at your pc and think 'i have made that' and if you get pre-built, then you will always regret doing so.

The RAM will be poor, the PSU likewise, the chipset for the MOBO is outdated and the GFX is underpowered. 'nuff said.

Anyway you will feel good when you look at your pc and think 'i have made that' and if you get pre-built, then you will always regret doing so.

cheers for the advice, man. and as you're from leeds you understand even more, which is great.

what websites did you use to source your components?

could you recommend me a vague sort of system with a budget of ~£600?

EDIT: i think i should add some more information. it will, primarily, be a gaming computer. in reference to Elbatrop1's guide, it would come under "Regular-Gaming" ... and i like to multi-task, a lot. i hope this helps!

Two good shops are Scan.co.uk and also ebuyer.com you can always try ocuk, but i tend to not prefer them as much

As for the vague system, do you want an OS/many preripherels included, or just basic components.

Two good shops are Scan.co.uk and also ebuyer.com you can always try ocuk, but i tend to not prefer them as much

As for the vague system, do you want an OS/many preripherels included, or just basic components.

ta, mate! will check 'em out

oh, OK. well, i can use my old mouse and keyboard, although both are ps/2 fittings - is that OK?

i'll need an OS and all the rest of it: CPU, motherboard, RAM, hard drive, optical drive, power supply and monitor.

i could use my old fujitsu PC case, or would you advise against that?

as for graphics card, i currently have an ATI radeon 9800 pro, which might suit my requirements ... although i'm not entirely sure

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom