Processor upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

krazyq

krazy Techie
I just bought the opteron 165 and later found out it doesnt suppoet my mobo so I was ggetting only one core to work.
Im about to upgrade it today and i need to know which one to get. I might overclock if i can get a new mobo since mine is locked by emachines.

Newegg.com - AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ Toledo 2.0GHz 2 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket 939 Processor - OEM

Newegg.com - AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ Toledo 2.2GHz 2 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket 939 Processor - OEM

If i get the 3800 i can get a new mobo and oc it too.
But if im not going to oc i can get 4200.
And on new egg they dont include a heatsink and fan...so can i use the one i got with my emachines or not, if not can you suggest me into one thats not too expensive.

Thanks

What mobo should i get?
I dont have that much money thats why if i got the 3800 it will be cheaper and ill have some extra cash for a mobo.
Out of the opty 165
3800 and
which one is the best before oc.

I ill buy a mobo later on once i get enough money.

i dont have money for that.
I think i might just get the 3800 and then buy a mobo later and oc it.

Oh I see...if I were him, I would just keep the Opty 165, and save up for a motherboard, that can overclock it. Or sell his Opty 165, motherboard, and RAM...to get an AM2 motherboard like the Biostar TForce 550, with a X2 3600+, a gig of DDR2 RAM, and overclock.

i just bought the opty lik 3 days ago. So im guessing i can just return it. I just bought more ram lik almost a month ago. I dont really have that much cash in hand. Infact barely.

Im just trying to go dual core now, i might build a new pc some time next year and ill prolly go vista , get a DX10 card, and a core2duo or quad. But for now im trying to stay simple.

Does 2.0 ghz and 2.2 make a big diff or barely? I do have a 3400+ and im hoping i do notice an increase in performance. gaming and applications.
And how much diff is the cache..like 1MB from a 1X2mb...how do they come into effect anyways?

new eggs sellin the 3800 for 70 with no heatsink and fan. I found the same thing at pricegrabber for 95 with heatsink and fan. thats 25 bucks more.
So should i get the new egg 3800 and buy a better heatsink and fan for 25 bucks or should i just use the heat sink and fan that i got with my emachines?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom