Hardest decision for July 22nd builders

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gabb

gone
It isn't what mobo to choose ( P35 DS3R regular or the C version for future expandability ), its what processor to choose

A few posters mentioned that the q6600 wasn't worth it and I read this article very throughly: Intel's Core 2 Duo E6750 processor - The Tech Report - Page 1

It contains some good information and come July 22nd the decision is kind of hard to make. In the benchmarks the q6600 really owns the e6750 ( prob cause the benchmark can take advantage of all the cores ), while the e6750 can probably overclock better ( someone mentioned the q6600 can only get to 3.2 ghz? ) and had reasonably better performance when it came to games. I'm mostly goign to use my high end build for games and not so much applications, but I'm wondering...is it worth it to just dish out the extra 40% cost ( 80 bucks ) to get a q6600? Will the e6750 even be 183$ come July 22nd or Sept 2nd?

I know most will respond saying that the q6600 is not "true" dual core and therefore isnt worth it, but no one really knows if the penryn will be that far ahead in performance, and thats at the very least 6 months down the road...I mean reasonably if I go with the e6750 ill have to stay with it for at LEAST 2 years, and who knows how many more games will use the dual core.

On the other hand, if the e6750 can overclock significantly better then the q6600 then I guess it would be more worth it...unless it wasnt 183$ on July 22nd..in which case waiting another month would be too costly...

Indeed a quandry I too am facing since my new build will also be primarily for gaming.

I am still leaning towards the q6600 for one simple reason...I will be able to take full advantage of all software coming out for the near future! I think I have also decided to go for Vista64 for the same reason and take my chances. If I run into too much of an issue I will run a dual boot system again so I can run everything on one OS or the other.

The one thing I have learned with my 20+ years with PC's is that if you are always waiting for the next best piece of hardware to be released you will never get your system built, which is exactly where I am. With all my years running the latest and greatest software this is actually my first home built system because I keep waiting for the pace of technology to slow down. If I have learned nothing else, I have learned that I will be in a box of my own before I build a system with that rationale.

Anyway, to each their own. There are definitely arguments both ways. I have made several changes to what I was originally planning already due to the great advice from people here who know whats in the pipeline and I am reasonably happy with my new design.

All I know is I am going to shoot for the best midrange configuration I can find to accomplish the following...

1. I can run anything the software market is putting out for the next year +
2. I have flexibility with upgrade options as hardware matures to run the latest software for the next year +
3. I dont completely break the bank to have a level of performance I will be happy with for the next year + (I am pretty much guaranteed to have respectable framerates and load times for all my software)

Indeed a quandry I too am facing since my new build will also be primarily for gaming.

The one thing I have learned with my 20+ years with PC's is that if you are always waiting for the next best piece of hardware to be released you will never get your system built, which is exactly where I am. With all my years running the latest and greatest software this is actually my first home built system because I keep waiting for the pace of technology to slow down. If I have learned nothing else, I have learned that I will be in a box of my own before I build a system with that rationale.

Anyway, to each their own. There are definitely arguments both ways. I have made several changes to what I was originally planning already due to the great advice from people here who know whats in the pipeline and I am reasonably happy with my new design.

)

yeah well said, I felt the same way about the "waiting game" when people were saying to screw the kentsfield processors and wait for a penryn processors which at +6 months down the road and no one even knows their level of performance even thought some claimed its "ridiculously higher then the current ones." Heck thats what people said about the ATI R600 cards and when they finally came out it turned out to be quite a dissapointment...

Still thought what I want to know is how far can a q6600 be overclocked? If it really can't go past a 3.2 ghz at stock cooling ( I plan to get the Tuniq tower ) then indeeds its at a severe performance disadvantage. I dont get why it couldnt overclock as well as a regular e6600 since the other 2 cores aren't even used much.

They say the highest a e6750 can do in that link I said is around 3.7-3.8 ghz stable

That is what I was reading from that link as well. What little I know about the q6600 is its apparent lack of overclocking quite as high is due to the extra heat load, which is suppose to be around double that of the e6600. The tuniq and the Newegg.com - Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme CPU Cooler - Retail help tremendously in that regard.

I cant find the benchmark link at this moment, but the Thermalright came out on top for air cooling. It only slightly beat the Tuniq, but it beat it nonetheless. I am still going with the Tuniq because its asthetic design is better IMHO and comes in a little cheaper when you take into account you have to buy a seperate fan for the Thermalright.

The limit of the Q6600 is not 3.2Ghz.

Each chip is different, and i know baron5/kobe have only got theirs to 3.2, however, i have actually got mine up to 3.6.

They will produce a little extra heat due to the four cores and extra power, however, at 3.3Ghz, mine only gets up to 42C in games, and 50C in orthos on stock cooling.

Alot of people have no experience with the Q6600, so actually read reviews of it from people that have used it. Still if you want to go for raw speed the 6750 will beat it im sure.

That is what I was reading from that link as well. What little I know about the q6600 is its apparent lack of overclocking quite as high is due to the extra heat load, which is suppose to be around double that of the e6600. The tuniq and the Newegg.com - Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme CPU Cooler - Retail help tremendously in that regard.

I cant find the benchmark link at this moment, but the Thermalright came out on top for air cooling. It only slightly beat the Tuniq, but it beat it nonetheless. I am still going with the Tuniq because its asthetic design is better IMHO and comes in a little cheaper when you take into account you have to buy a seperate fan for the Thermalright.

yeah I know for sure that the Tuniq will install on a giga P35-DSR3 as shown in this pic MB.jpg - Image - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

and the thermalright having to buy a fan for it is not worth it

that double the head really sucks for the q6600 especially since it BARELY gets to use the 2 other cores :(

another huge factor which will influence my decision is the e6750 might not even be 183$ and be more since the listed prices on wiki are for sept 2nd...

The Tuniq looks good in that pic.

Anyone know of a good cooler setup for the southbridge or if its worth it to even try? I have been reading so much stuff the last week I forget where I saw they said the southbridge got pretty hot.

southbridge doesn't get that hot most people cool the nothbridge its all pointless it only knocks off a couple of degrees and neither bridges get that hot as no-one uses them to there full potential simply because its too expensive and pointless

Oh and just to mention about the Thermalright Ultra has some horrifying control quality issue user reviews for newegg about it. Normally of course I dont put too much credit in user reviews ( since every product will always have bad reviews ) , but really these are some pretty disturbing user reviews commenting on the quality control of the actual product production

southbridge doesn't get that hot most people cool the nothbridge its all pointless it only knocks off a couple of degrees and neither bridges get that hot as no-one uses them to there full potential simply because its too expensive and pointless

I thought 680i NB/SB got really hot and needed really good cooling when overclocked?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom