Building a new gaming rig, need comments on parts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey PBAsydney,
Welcome to T.F.!!

Your picked out parts look good, but there are areas where you can save money, and get better parts.

The motherboard is a great choice, if you want the SLI option, along with other features...but SLI isn't worth it, so I would suggest the infamous Gigabyte P35-DS3R, if it's available in your area....it's futureproof and an overclocking dream.

Don't get the e6700. It's too much when the lower models such as the e6320, e6420, or e6600 can overclock way past the e6700, for less green. You may also want to consider waiting for July 22, in which Intel will slash prices of their C2D line, in addition to launching new CPUs, like the e6750....which is like a perfect combination with the P35-DS3R motherboard.

Don't get the factory overclocked version of that graphic card. Just overclock it yourself, for free.

A lot of people will suggest the G. Skill HZs, for the memory. That's if it's available, wherever you're buying the parts from. Another suggestion is the Crucial Ballistix....but this is only if it's available at store. If not, OCZ will do fine.

Sora will tell you that the OCZ line of PSUs, specifically the GameXStream series, have ripples on their +12v rails. It's not necessarily a bad thing, but it's not good either. So I would suggest, if it's available, a Corsair, SeaSonic, or XClio.

wow... right on target..... i have nothing to add..... thats what happens when i play gta instead of posting at TF

heh...Sora knows those ripples, but I think it's on several of the stream series.

I am from Iceland, and that setup will cost me $2391 USD.

I bet the same setup would cost around $1500 in the US :(, everything is so overpriced here.

Oh, and here's what I am looking at after your comments:

Mobo: Gigabyte S775 GA-P35-DS3 motherboard ($217)
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo (Conroe) E6600 2.4 GHz, 1066 MHz , LGA775 socket, 4 mb ($232)
GPU:EVGA, nVidia GeForce 8800GTX, 768 MB, 2DVI/HDTV ($915)
RAM: OCZ 2GB DDR2 800MHz (2x1GB) Platinum Edition CL4 ($248)
Case: ThermalTake Soprano ($167)
HDD: 500GB SATA2 Western Digital hard drive (WD5000KS) 16MB ($182)
Sound Card: Creative SB X-Fi XtremeGamer sound card PCI ($150)
PSU: Corsair HX 520W ATX 2.0 PSU ($200)

As stated before, I will most likely wait until the 8900 series come out for a price drop on the 8800GTX.

As far as I know theres not gonna be 8900 series they are going to skip that number instead they will named 9xxx series. And that series is suppose to come out in November (around the same time the 8800 series was launched last year, so you might as well have to wait a couple of months for that to happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom