MAJOR Hardware Issue. Please help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patchiz

Beta member
Okay. I have a dell dimension desktop pc, which was in a custom built computer case. my computer and hardware were working fine. so i decided to switch cases. i installed everything sucessfully, but i realized that none of my hardware was working. when i thorougly examined the problem, i realized that when i disconnect my ide cables, my hardware recieves power (hardware such as hard drive, cd rom drives, ect., but as soon as i connect my ide cables, the power to my hardware goes out. i have no idea whats going on. my hardware works fine in my neighbors computer. but im having a major hardware crisis. please help. :eek:

summary: when my power supply and ide cables are connected, hardware fails to recieve power. when ide cable is disconnected, but power supply is still connected, hardware suddenly recives power. ???????????

Pretty much sounds like the power supply in the new case doesn't have the juice to run it. Like the guy above asked, are you using the original one or a new one in the case?

I may be wrong about this, but I don't think the drives draw power until the PC starts them up, so that would be why disconnecting the IDE cables solves the problem.

Hello,

In this scenario, all drives work when connected to the PSU. As long as the molex power cable from the PSU is plugged into the Hard Drive, it is drawing power. This negates the idea of there not being enough power from the PSU.

I suspect a faulty IDE cable or motherboard grounding.

Try using a different IDE cable to connected the hard drive to the motherboard. Also make sure that the motherboard is not grounded to the case (by ensuring that metal contacts on the motherboard do not touch the interior of the computer case if it is metal). When fixing the motherboard to the case, the motherboard should be raised above the internal surface of the case (using standoffs on the screw mounts).

yes im using the same power supply as before, thats what makes it wierd. i dont have any hardware changes, everything is the same, except the case.

Get a new PSU. The HD is taking power away from all the other drives because HD takes a lot of power. Go buy an Antec 500W PSU. It's a trusted brand plus saves you money on your energy bill with its 80%+ efficiency.

There simply is no point in purchasing a new PSU. Given the information, it does not seem to be the problem.

3.5" IDE cables do not provide power to the Hard Drive, the 4 pin molex power cable from the PSU does. Patchiz has stated that, when all the IDE cables are disconnected, and all drives are connected to the PSU, all hardware receives power.

Connecting the IDE cables will not increase power demand from the PSU.

Some more information that is needed. Patchiz, when you disconnect all the IDE cables, but leave all your drives connected to the power supply, does your system power on and POST successfully? (does the BIOS initialize and does the system try and boot into an OS?).

Also, how many Watts is your PSU?

Have you tried using a different IDE cable? And have you tried removing all IDE cables and only connecting one drive up to the motherboard with one IDE cable (such as the hard drive)?

There simply is no point in purchasing a new PSU. Given the information, it does not seem to be the problem.

3.5" IDE cables do not provide power to the Hard Drive, the 4 pin molex power cable from the PSU does. Patchiz has stated that, when all the IDE cables are disconnected, and all drives are connected to the PSU, all hardware receives power.

Connecting the IDE cables will not increase power demand from the PSU.

Some more information that is needed. Patchiz, when you disconnect all the IDE cables, but leave all your drives connected to the power supply, does your system power on and POST successfully? (does the BIOS initialize and does the system try and boot into an OS?).

Also, how many Watts is your PSU?

Have you tried using a different IDE cable? And have you tried removing all IDE cables and only connecting one drive up to the motherboard with one IDE cable (such as the hard drive)?

Yes, I tried using a different power supply. turns out that wasn't the problem. i purchased some new ide cables and that didn't work right away, so i elevated my mb like u said to, though it was already elevated, i elevated it some more, and i removed all the cards from my pci slots, and my computer works fine now. thank you so much. you sound really professional, are you a qualified computer technician of some sort?

Yes, I tried using a different power supply. turns out that wasn't the problem. i purchased some new ide cables and that didn't work right away, so i elevated my mb like u said to, though it was already elevated, i elevated it some more, and i removed all the cards from my pci slots, and my computer works fine now. thank you so much. you sound really professional, are you a qualified computer technician of some sort?

lol :tounge: nah. Just an undergraduate who's worked with a lot of computer stuff :happy:.

You're system was just suffering from a very common electrical grounding issue.

I'm glad it works.

Oh lol, sometimes it is usually the PSU but I guess it wasn't it in this case. I remembered my friend did tell me that all the PCI cards that you do not use, and even if it's plugged into the PCI slot, it still sucks power.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom