New build....Whatcha think?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ice8168

Baseband Member
OK well I thinking about a new build....after the 22nd. Parts will be as follows and I am looking for and other recomendations or advise on better components.

Motherboard: Gigabyte P35-D3SR....seems to be well respected around here
CPU: C2D...havent decided which yet, any suggestions? Looking to OC
RAM: Cruicibal Ballistix DDR2 1066 2x1G
Power Supply: Give me some suggestions but must have modular cables. I have a Silverstone in my current rig and it has performed great.
GPU: EVGA 8800GTS
Cooling: Maybe liquid, dunno yet

Also looking at the Gigabyte 3D Aurora case. ANyone have this case and how do you like it. Maybe an Antec 900 otherwise.

This will be my first experience with Intel and Im looking for any ides on upgrades and overclocking tips.

e6750 for overclocking. q6600 if you want quad core.

Power supplies I don't know much about but IIRC Fortron, Hiper, and I think Corsair made some good stuff.

gofor the antec 900 case if you wanna oc, it keeps everything supercool, cpu, gofor the e6750 when it comes out, dont waste your money on ddr21066 unless you REALLY want it, but ddr2 800 can oc easily to those speeds (g.skill hz's or crucial ballistix) gofor a corsair 520watt hx psu, thats quality, maybe a bit expensive, but well worth it. dont waste money on water cooling, get a tuniq if you wanna do some serious OC'ing, itll be comperable to a water system.

sorry im too lazy to link everything, but its all on newegg (except the e6750 obviously)

e6750 for overclocking. q6600 if you want quad core.

Power supplies I don't know much about but IIRC Fortron, Hiper, and I think Corsair made some good stuff.

personally, and no offense dario, but i wouldnt splurge on a q6600 (even with the price cuts) cus theyre not true quad core, theyre like the pentiumD, not true dual cores, theyre basically 2 dual cores mashed into 1 chip, gets very hot, etc....id wait for the 45nm quad core (Kentsfield????) to come out and upgrade to that (which is compatible with the ds3r)

personally, and no offense dario, but i wouldnt splurge on a q6600 (even with the price cuts) cus theyre not true quad core, theyre like the pentiumD, not true dual cores, theyre basically 2 dual cores mashed into 1 chip, gets very hot, etc....id wait for the 45nm quad core (Kentsfield????) to come out and upgrade to that (which is compatible with the ds3r)

i agree........ but the price-cuts will give the q6600 the G0 stepping, which may reduce temps and will reduce consumption, might make it suitable for the AF7??

That depends if he would want to upgrade later though. Some people do not like to upgrade their systems every 6 months. Also do we know what the "true" quads will cost and how much a benefit they will even have?

The e6750 is good and is probably the better choice for gaming but he never said what he wanted the comp for. If he does a lot of encoding or does a lot of crazy high end stuff at once then the q6600 would be the better choice.

i agree with Riz get th E6750 and wait for true quad cores if you want one

I'm going to disagree.. stop recommending the E6750 because there is no way that when I upgrade I'm going to get the message "out of stock" :D :laughing: .

Nah just kidding here, the E6750 is the best choice unless you want to save some money in which case it would be wise to get the E6550.

What will the E6750 run?
As for the power supply I know corsair is good stuff but none of their PS are modular. Any other ideas.

Thanks for the suggestions.

And on the RAM I have 2 extra sticks of Corsair XMS2 6400C2 so I guess Ill just use those. THat will work right?

Edit: BTW the rig is mostly used for gaming and music. Also the wide uses it for Photoshop.

What will the E6750 run?
As for the power supply I know corsair is good stuff but none of their PS are modular. Any other ideas.

Thanks for the suggestions.

And on the RAM I have 2 extra sticks of Corsair XMS2 6400C2 so I guess Ill just use those. THat will work right?

Edit: BTW the rig is mostly used for gaming and music. Also the wide uses it for Photoshop.

the e6750 is going to be around $185 upon release or something close to that.
for a modular psu i would look at hipers.

And yea that ram will work just fine, you don't need to buy new ram if you already have some.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom