First Computer Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

xcryinginrainxx

Baseband Member
I want to build my first PC, and I want it to be for gaming.
I only have experience with upgrading my memory, adding a slave hard drive, adding a network card and a wireless card. I actually used guides for all of them, but for the RAM, it's incredibly easy.

I made a list of things I would need to buy. I'll post the list up but before I do, I want to tell you what I want the computer to be:

Hardcore Gaming
Fast
Burn DVDs and CDs
Play DVDs and CDs
It's going to run XP and I already have a disc..

Okay, now for the list. If i'm missing anything or something's not compatible, please tell me which one I need.

I type like a n00b, sorry. I'll edit my post to make things clearer if you like.

OK. Now for the list. (I'm buying all of this from newegg)

ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce SPP 100 ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail

ATI 100-435705 Radeon X1800XT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card - OEM

Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio 7.1 Channels 24-bit 96KHz PCI Interface Sound Card - Retail

OCZ Platinum 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail

Western Digital Caviar SE WD800JB 80GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache IDE Ultra ATA100 Hard Drive - OEM

AMD Athlon 64 4000+ San Diego 2.4GHz 1MB L2 Cache Socket 939 Processor - OEM

ZEROtherm BTF95 CPU Cooler - Retail

ASUS Beige 16X DVD-ROM 52X CD-R 32X CD-RW 52X CD-ROM 2MB Cache E-IDE/ATAPI Combo Drive - Retail

SAMSUNG Black 18X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 8X DVD+R DL 18X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2M Cache E-IDE/ATAPI DVD Burner - OEM

Powertek PowerTek770W ATX 12V 2.2 / EPS 12V 770W Power Supply100 - 240 V UL, CUL, FCC, TUV, CE - Retail

POWMAX CP808PL-1 Beige Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 450W Power Supply - Retail

D-Link DFE-530TX+ 10/ 20/ 100/ 200Mbps PCI Network Adapter 1 x RJ45 - Retail

Please help me so I can get what I need (don't ask how i'll build it without any experience)

And I bet you'll feel better helping someone make a computer.....

first don't go with a 939 socket it is dying technology and should be left alone when it comes to new builds.

That graphics card is ok you would see quite a large performance boost by upgrading to a x1900

You don't have to have a soundcard most people are happy with there motherboard sound unless your an audiophile then it isn't really needed.

Don't get ddr ram it is very old tech 2 generations old now go with ddr2 6400 ram it is cheaper and faster as ddr2 is the accepted standard making it cheaper to produce and cheap costs to consumers.

Don't get a western digital drive they are falling behind in the market atm either buy a Seagate barracuda 7200.10 (for its 5 year warranty) or a Samsung Spinpoint (has a 3 year warranty but is marginally faster then the seagate) both are excellent drives

as I previously said socket 939 is MIA

Never heard of that cpu cooler a good budget cooler is the Artic freezer 64 for AMD chips

You can get a sata dvd drive for the same price and it will have a thinner cable meaning better airflow so sata rather then IDE is preferable

Your drives don't match you have one black and one beige it will look a little odd aesthetically

never heard of that power supply ut sounds like crud firstly ecause your system will only need about 300W as it currently stands (look at what my rig runs off in my sig) so a 420W will do you better I would reccomend the corsair HX as it is also modular allowing better cable management and airflow = cooler pc and longer life of parts

A beige case interesting are you sure you don't want one a little more stylish or are you a keen modder who will rip the case apart anyway and repaint it all.

Most motherboards come with network connections you should only need to add a wireless pci card for network use and some motherboards even come with that built in

Ok, so do I replace everything that has 939? And will my motherboard support it since I checked here and I thought it said 939.

Well i'll change the beige case to something that looks pleasing to look at, but I thought a gaming computer with a beige case would be interesting, but I think i'll change my mind about beige.

you should go with AM2 or wait a little while and go with AM2+ and will need both the motherboard and cpu to be one of the above^^^

You will need ddr2 ram so will need to pick a new set

Sata everything i.e. harddrives and optical drives. IDE is the large ribbon cables and is not only slower then SATA but also takes more space and prevents air movement.

Will games be slower with a 320MB version or does the amount matter that much?

It won't matter because the ram is enough for the resolution you are playing at.

The zalman doesn't work with AM2 motherboards this is the best low cost heatsink
Newegg.com - ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 64 Pro 92mm CPU Cooler - Retail

The case is your personal preference do you want something sleek and smooth? something outlandish (weird shape)? something really in your face(lights windows)? some cheap piece of crap?

I mean will my motherboard fit with all ATX cases or do I need to find one that'll match up right?

Also,
I just heard of something called xgbox (from a youtube video) and they make really cool cases.

www.xgbox.com
(They also make power supplies but i'm not getting one from them).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom