Gaming PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

osborne3

In Runtime
I'm currently building a new gaming PC and i thought i would ask around to see whether its compatible which i think it is or whether i should get something else

Motherboards
ASUS STRIKER EXTREME (Nvidia 680i SLi) with 3xPCI-Express/DDR2 DUAL-CH/SATA-3G/AUDIO/GBit LAN/USB 2.0
Merchant Name MOTHERBOARD - Socket A, Intel - Socket 370, Intel Yonah, Intel - Socket 478, Intel Xeon - Socket 604, Intel - Socket 775, Socket 940, Socket 754, Socket 939, Socket AM2, AMD - Socket F, Intel Xeon - Socket 771, ASUS STRIKER EXTREME (Nvidia 680i SLi)
Price $439.00

Graphics Cards #1
GAINWARD PCIE GF 8800GTX 768 DDR3 2DH BLISS-8262
Merchant Name GAINWARD PCIE GF 8800GTX 768 DDR3 2DH BLISS-8262
Price $767.00

System Memory
G.Skill 4GB (2GB x 2) PC2-6400 (DDR2-800) CL5 - F2-6400CL5D-4GBP Merchant Name DDR2 Memory MTECH COMPUTERS - YOUR ONLINE SUPER STORE -
Price $355.00

Power Supplies
CoolerMaster Real Power Pro 1000W SLI
Merchant Name CoolerMaster Real Power Pro 1000W SLI
Price $312.00

CPU
Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.40GHz / 4MB Cache / 1066MHz FSB / Conroe / Dual-Core / Socket 775 / Processor with Fan (Retail)
Merchant Name TigerDirect.com
Price $249.99

HDD
Seagate Barracuda 500Gb 7200RPM 16Mb SATA 2
Merchant Name Centre Com Online
Price $179.00

OPTICAL
Lite-On LH-20A1S 20X SATA DVD Burner BLACK
Merchant Name DVD Burner MTECH COMPUTERS - YOUR ONLINE SUPER STORE -
Price $65.00

CASE
Thermaltake Kandalf Steel Black w/ Window NO PSU
Merchant Name PC Maniacs
Price $259.00
TOTAL

You only actually need 350W so I would recommend a Corsair 520W modular to allow you some headroom for future upgrades.

The motherboard is completely overpriced but a very nice board and it is your money.

Wait until the 22nd of this month and intel have there price drops the quad core Q6600 will be around the same price as the E6600 is currently and the E6850 a brand new dual core chip will be released aswell for around the same price as the current e6600

Rather then bying one harddrive and running the risk of harddrive failure buy two smaller ones one for storage one for normal use. I would reccomend a Seagate 7200.10 320gb for storage (5 year warranty) and a samsung Spinpoint 300gb for normal usage (the fastest data transfer speeds of a 7200rpm drive currently on the market)

I am UK so not completely sure about this but your optical drive seems very expensive you won't notice any "real world" difference between any drives made by reputable companies like sony, panasonic or lite-on. The only thing that really separates them is stupid extra features that no-one uses and discs can't be burnt at full speeds anyway as if the file is quite large then it undoubtedly will be corrupted
You need an aftermarket cpu cooler if your going to get full usage out of any cpu you buy through overclocking which I assume your doing as you buying an overclocking motherboard and overclockers ram

You forgot an OS if you are going with XP then you have too much ram it won't be used unless your a CAD designer, If you are getting VISTA then 4gb is suppose to be the sweet spot but you need to buy the 64bit edition to address all the ram. The 32bit edition can only utilise 3.2gb of ram whilst the 64 it can go upto 128gb of ram

sli is relatively pointless because

Sli'ing you pay 100% more for the second card and gain around 30-40% performance increase.

Overclocking you pay 0% more and gain a 20% performance increase.

In basis your paying twice as much for one card and only getting a 10-20% performance increase its a rip off

Those prices are pretty good for aus mate. But that PSU is just ridiculous, even for 2 SLI 8800GTX cards you will need nothing more than 650W as long as its a good brand, i would say corsair.

That board is really expensive as well. I mean it is pretty good, but you could just get anothe 680i board for almost half the price. And a better option would be the Gigabyte P35-DS3R which is only around $200 AU. Its not an SLI board, but unless you want the craziest framerates, there is not point in SLI.

You could use the extra few hundred toward another HDD and raid them or get a nice sound card.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom