Raid 0

Status
Not open for further replies.

aj2003

Daemon Poster
with my system specs below would i get a noticable speed increase if i bout another identical HDD and ran it in RAID 0? concidering ive got bout 60GBP to spend (bout 120 USD i think)

In short, NO. RAID only decreases disc access time for data to be stored in your RAM. so you would notice that your levels (games) would load faster. If you use your computer as a network base, depending on the number of poeple on your network, THEY might notice an improvement. Get a new video card and you will definitely see an improvement in fps and video quality. The X800 is very expensive for now so I would go for the 9800 PRO or the XT depending on the money available and then get some RAM

im sorry, but i didnt see anything mentioned about games in the above question.

Depending on what you use your computer for will depend on whether you will notice an increase in speed or not. Your HD performance will definately increase. In theory it would double, but in reality it is much less than this. However it would still be significant. Loading times for all your applications (windows as well) will decrease. Copying files will also increase. However from here not much else will be different. RAID 0 is only a minor part of having a KICK ass computer.

But during games, no not much difference would be noticed.

Although nothing about game was mentioned, aj2003 specs, mainly the video card, speak for themselves. As my previous post notes, any app load time will be definitely better, but unless you use your computer as Network base or CAD (but then you would not go toward a gaming card but a precision card) or video editing or any other program which are HDD request intensive, there is no noticeable gain to get by going to RAID 0.
I would still get the video card upgrade.

Yea you'll see some speed increase, for loading applications and games, but processor heavy applications won't see much of a difference. Would definitly decrease winodws start-up time.

i think i will just leave it for now tbh i dont need it. will wait till i get paid next month and buy a gud grpahics card and another hard drive then i should be set till i need more ram :D thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom