Reformatting Harddrive (stuck)

Status
Not open for further replies.

enzio

Baseband Member
Im stuck reformatting my harddrive help apprecitated

ive tried these ways

1) Making a MS-DOS startup disk, rebooting and then starting with MSDOS then it comes up with A:\> and i cant change the drive to C: so i was stuck there

2) I tried starting up with the windows xp cd and going into the recovery console. I then typed

map

then i hit enter

then i typed "format c: /fs:ntfs"

then i hit enter

Then i typed Y

i then hit enter

it said that it would clean the harddrive but it didnt do anything

3) lastly i tried deleting a partition from starting up with the windows xp cd. I couldnt delete any partitons or make any new ones so i was stuck there.....

Help appreciated

Change ur file system from NTFS to FAT32.
NTFS does not support DOS.
U can use XP bootable CD or some third party utilities r available which I am not aware of.:eek:

boot with winxp cd.
dont use the recovery console.
i cant tell you by memory,but after it loads the drivers at some point it will show your hard drive.you will have the option to partition the drive then it will give you options of format fat32,format ntfs,ect..

cant you run fdisk from A:\ - I think that is how i did it last via a win98 boot floppy

Maybe the problem is that your hard drive is overheated or does not defragmented always--eh that's my opinion, cuz I have experience in that area. My computer cannot access the drive c:
so I go to the bios section then I force my drive c: to came back to its roots, I try and try--voila! it came back. so remember to defragmented your pc always.

but in your bootdisc
go to @ the A: type fdisk
Delete any partitions
Reboot then your should be able to format

enzio said:
Im stuck reformatting my harddrive help apprecitated
1) Making a MS-DOS startup disk, rebooting and then starting with MSDOS then it comes up with A:\> and i cant change the drive to C: so i was stuck there

Enzio, if DOS cannot see the hard drive (C:\), then it could be that the HDD itself is incorrectly installed. Open up your case and make sure all the IDE cables are securely fastened and that the jumper settings are correct (master/slave).

When you have double checked this, I would boot up with a Win98 startup diskette. Use the FDISK utility to see what partitions (if any) there are on this hard drive. As long as your personal data is backed up somewhere safe, I would delete all partitions and just make it one large single partition.

You do NOT need to PRE-format your HDD when installing W2K or XP. Both oper. systems will format the HDD as part of the isntallation process.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom