need help with new opty 165

Status
Not open for further replies.
im download a windows xp with sp2...so would this slip stream be necessary.

Or should i use the slipstream thing with the recovery cd i have now?
you use the slipstream method to integrate SP2 onto an XP CD, so that when you install XP, it will already have SP2 on it.

Recovery CD's are usually just normal XP CD's, with a few things the manufacturer has added onto it.

will i be able to use the recovery cd for the slipstream?
sorry for asking so many questions.
And im guessing after this ill have to do a clean install again...

will i be able to use the recovery cd for the slipstream?
sorry for asking so many questions.
And im guessing after this ill have to do a clean install again...
You can install SP2 by itself if you have XP installed.

But if you wanted to reinstall XP, having SP2 slipstreamed is better than installing it later.

If your recovery CD is like most other recovery CD's (just a regular XP CD, but with a few things added by the manufacturer), then yes you should be able to slipstream SP2 onto it.

I did install sp2 just moments ago and nothing happened. After doing slipstream should i do an uggrade install or a fresh install.
And i read in other forums that im suppose to push F5 so i can manually choose to install the driver...

Files have been copied, now im about to slipstream.

I did install sp2 just moments ago and nothing happened.
If SP2 didn't fix it, then it's probably because your motherboard doesn't support a dual core processor. There might be a BIOS update that lets it though.

After doing slipstream should i do an uggrade install or a fresh install.
If you've already installed SP2, Just keep running your curent installation until you need to reinstall. Then do a full install.

And i read in other forums that im suppose to push F5 so i can manually choose to install the driver...
Service pack 2 should have the drivers you'll need to install, apart from video, motherboard, sound etc. But those are typically installed after Windows is.

Anyway, do you know what your motherboard model is? I think you'll have to update the BIOS in order to use both cores.

my mobo model is:
ms-7207g.

I already got the mobo update from emachines and flashed it after the fresh xp install.

Do i need a new mobo?

umm it looks like it.
Mine was a 3400+ and it didnt mention that for what it supports.
But that sure does look like mine.
So i guess It just doesnt support Opterons...bummer.
I guess ill just return this processor then.

umm it looks like it.
Mine was a 3400+ and it didnt mention that for what it supports.
But that sure does look like mine.
So i guess It just doesnt support Opterons...bummer.
I guess ill just return this processor then.
You'll be able to use a dual core Athlon 64 in that motherboard. the 4200+ is the same price as the Opteron 165.

i did see that on new egg, but it has 1MB cache.
Does the 1MB cache and 1X2MB cache make a big difference?

Is their a big difference in performance between the 3800x2 and the 4200x2. And I will have to use my old heatsink since its not provided.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom