Vista Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

PC_Caveman

In Runtime
Ok these are my main problems in my post Vista instalation.

Motherboard cd drivers wont install and website doesnt have chipset drivers for vista 64bit

Monitor-same problem

I bought 2 more gigs of ram the same i had before to help with vista, after my instaltion of them my bios only shows me 3 are registering. I have tested all 4 slots with all 4 sticks and they all work, yet my system will only show 3 working with all 4 in at once?
\
Plz help im so ost and angry

Also i have some updates that are tring to install and failing everytime. Anyone with similar hardware find any answers?

PS: He has...
Processor:C2D E6600
Motherboard:Asus P5B-Deluxe Wifi
Ram: 4 gigs of G-skill DDR2-800
Hard Drive:250 GB Western Digital
Video Card:Evga 8800gtx
Operating System:64-bit Vista Home Premium

I'd look into a BIOS update to fix your ram problems. Several of the older ones list memory compatibility fixes, so if you install the newest one, hopefully that'll take care of your problem.

As far as your Vista 64-bit driver issues, several of them on Asus' site say they're Vista 64 compatible. If one you need isn't listed as such, you might be able to install the XP 64-bit version. Vista is sometimes able to take XP drivers and make them work. That's about all I can suggest. Here's a link to the DL page if you don't already have it:

ASUSTeK Computer Inc.-Support-

K i remember seeing some chip set drivers for xp 64 bit, and i will give them a shot. As far as updating my bios, i have never done that before, is it as easy as updating a driver? or do i need to go borrow my dads flash drive for the installation?

That depends. Some BIOS have a Windows based flash option. While other require a Floppy drive. IT all depends on you mobo.

Ok what i i just want to go back to my windows Xp and wait for vista to get more of its issues fixed? can i just re-install xp using same activation code, and then re-install vista down the road or am i stuck having to figure this out now???

Ok what i i just want to go back to my windows Xp and wait for vista to get more of its issues fixed? can i just re-install xp using same activation code, and then re-install vista down the road or am i stuck having to figure this out now???
If you haven't updated the BIOS... Vista will never fix that issue for you, so you might as well get it done.

XP should work if you want to go that route, unless you know something that you're not tellin'...:rolleyes: Just note that a 32-bit OS will only see approximately 3GB of RAM regardless of if you have a larger quantity. The good 'ol 32-bit limitation.

Yea i still can only see 3 out of my 4, but im hoping that the bios update will fix that. Im assuming i can use a USB flash drive since my manual tells me i can use one, due to me not having a floppy drive. Regardless of what happens what will be the result of running with no MoBo drivers or Monitor drivers? im guessing just limitations on what i can do.

Also, will i have issues trying to reinstall my old XP cd's, i have heard of people getting stuck because it says their authentication code is already used? Will i have issues if i am doing it on the same computer?

Yea i still can only see 3 out of my 4, but im hoping that the bios update will fix that. Im assuming i can use a USB flash drive since my manual tells me i can use one, due to me not having a floppy drive. Regardless of what happens what will be the result of running with no MoBo drivers or Monitor drivers? im guessing just limitations on what i can do.

Also, will i have issues trying to reinstall my old XP cd's, i have heard of people getting stuck because it says their authentication code is already used? Will i have issues if i am doing it on the same computer?
Yeah, if your board supports booting from a flash drive (which you said the manual states), absolutely. 2.5" diskettes are obsolete...:laughing:

No motherboard drivers? XP/Vista usually have generic drivers for many components...that usually work fine. However, sometimes they're not compatible so you won't have access to that device, be it your ethernet, integrated sound, etc...but I've rarely seen the ones XP/Vista have not work, at least to some extent. But yup, in general, you're right: just limitations on any "extra" features the device may have.

No monitor drivers? There are no monitor drivers that I know of, but I've never paid attention... meaningless if they exist. What you'd need to worry about here is your graphics card driver...but this is the same as above, XP/Vista's standard usually works, but to get the feature-rich potential, you'll need the latest (and I'm sure you can download these regardless of the OS, since you have a spankin' new 8800).

XP activation problems? What changed? If the motherboard changed...for sure. Some extra RAM? Probably not. Anyway, if it does say you need to reactivate, you would just have to deal with MS support in India via the dreaded telephone...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom