backing up HD onto CDs/DVDs

Status
Not open for further replies.

little a

In Runtime
what is the best way to back up the HD on laptop? i'd like something i can burn as .iso files onto a CD/DVD so that if my HD crashes i can restore the system via bootable media.

is there a way for me to create a bootable media backup (using a Windows utility or some other free software) that will allow me to copy the entirety of the HD in its current condition? Thanks

a

Use Winrar. Zip the entire C: drive into 4.7gb size files. Then burn them.

ok, sounds very doable but how would i, in the event of a crash (or if i wanted to switch HDs, etc), go about rebuilding the system from a clean HD?

a

I'd reinstall the OS from scratch, then unrar it into the C drive to have all your old files back.

I'd reinstall the OS from scratch, then unrar it into the C drive to have all your old files back.

this is a really good idea except i don't think it really gets around the problem of the XP updates. would i really be able to unpack all the updated files into the files that will be set up by the windows installation cd? (i hope that's clear)

alfio

Acronis or Ghost are the best ways to do it.

Actually drive image is the best.

Ghost is a drive image wannabee (it's based off of drive image. norton bought out powerquest years ago). Acronis looks like it too. it actually has some better features. it just isn't always reliable. you can be left with a unbootable system whereas drive image and partition magic (powerquest made it too) will warn you in advance that you will be left with an unbootable system if you proceed in a certain manner.

Thanks for the info Eric. Any link to drive image? I wanna try it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom