I need help finding my prossesor socket.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

optimuscrime791

Beta member
Iv been trying to figure out what socket im using, i know its a socket A but what number? I saw some good prossors i like from newegg.com but i dont know if they would work, heres what i got so far from SYSTEM INFO FOR WINDOWS

Property Value
Platform Name Socket A

Property Value
CPU Name AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2800+

thats all it sais, can some one help me figure out my socket type...

Your socket IS type "A".

Since then AMD have brough out; 754, 939, AM2, and AM2+ i think is coming out soon.

So you socket is pretty old, and i doubt you could find a new processor for it. They havent used that socket for about 3-4years i think.

Some one told me that, "If you get a new mother board then you need to change alot of your parts from your computer" is that true or can i just buy one and plug and play it?

Some one told me that, "If you get a new mother board then you need to change alot of your parts from your computer" is that true or can i just buy one and plug and play it?

Well, you would most likely have to change the CPU, Motherboard and RAM, however, if you go for a really cheap alternative, you might be able to use the same RAM. It really depends what you already have...

Unfortunately if you were to do this you would have to reinstall windows.

But the thing is mate, even if you were able to track somewhere down that still sold Socket A CPUs, there would be no point anyway. The CPU you have is basically as fast as they got for that socket, so you wouldnt be able to find a better one anyway.

The only option if you want to upgrade is to get a new motherboard etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom