Making a Compaq 5000T tolerable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tisoraku

In Runtime
Even though I am making my own system, there is another computer that still needs to be used and I would like to make it more tolerable for everyone, sometimes it works fine and other times it is slow, locking up too much even when it was just reloaded. System is six to seven years old.

- System -

Windows Xp Professional
Original system - Windows ME
Compaq Presario 5000T
863 MHZ
512 Ram
30Gb
Pentium III
250W Power supply.
Integrated video chip
Interl - 82810E Graphics Controller
4MB

The ram was 128, increased it to 512, once I did that the hard drive space now reads 17GB after loaded windows Xp, right now it is at about 6gb of space.

Is that power supply enough for a video card?

What is the largest hard drive that would work in this system?

Last time I was recommended this as a graphics card -
HIS Hightech H925H128ER4AN Radeon 9250 128MB 64-bit DDR AGP 2X/4X Video Card - OEM

Thanks again

dude, get a new system
like the cheapest dell, youll be much happier

I am building myself a new system, others have to use this and it needs to work a little better unless it is just getting old.

It's really hard to say what to upgrade when you don't tell us what you're using your PC for..

Mostly for looking at web sites and simple games as that is all it will handle, someone would like to be able to use Sims 2 which may be a lost cause for this system, they can barley keep the original sims running, CPU may not be good enough.

I would like to keep it low for this system, it will end up being the lowest price that will improve this system to run smoother and better, if possible, budget is based on what will be required, if it becomes too high it would be best to save and buy a new system.

with this build i will probably upgrade my video card. try to dig up a Geforce ti4200 or something. they should be around 20-30$ depending on where you live.

i have a computer thats similiar to yours and i never had problems with surfing the web, light gaming such as silkroad, counterstrike, maplestory, etc. my computer is also 6-7 years old lol. maybe you should consider formatting the computer and install NOD32, spybot, adaware, ccleaner to help protect yourself. this is my build:

pentum 3 1GHZ
512ram
40gb
250w PSU
and radeon 9250SE

the only reason i got the radeon is because i only had 250w

We have been able to play games like the Sims on and off over the years, sometimes it plays without error other times it will freeze and lock up, same thing is happening this time around on the internet. After reloading the system it can run fine for a few months and other times this programs comes up sooner then later.

Right now the internet is working fine, other then being a little slow at times for cable.

We are running a spybot and virus program, using Firefox and Zone Alarm as a firewall.

hm...lock-ups can also be a heating issue. have you tired cleaning the computer with dust-off?

also you should apply new thermal paste and rebuild the entire computer. just take apart the whole computer and put it back together. the heat that the computer generates causes the components to shrink and grow and the components can get loose from its socket over time. this is also called "chip creek" i think..

I will look into those parts, thanks.

hm...lock-ups can also be a heating issue. have you tired cleaning the computer with dust-off?

A little while ago, I'm sure it could use a cleaning again.

also you should apply new thermal paste and rebuild the entire computer. just take apart the whole computer and put it back together. the heat that the computer generates causes the components to shrink and grow and the components can get loose from its socket over time. this is also called "chip creek" i think..

Thanks

This computer never came with a fan other then the one on the CPU.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom