Home Entertainment/Gaming PC

Status
Not open for further replies.
thats funny.... its cheaper than the regular clocked evga

That is a great deal for the 8800gtx. I just am not sure about the brand. If anyone can shed some light on the brand that would be great, as I can't find a single benchmark which places them in anything higher than 3rd place.

I gotta say, I love the look and the price of that gpu, but if quality isn't there I can't go that route.

BTW, here is my current build based on the feedback I have recieved thus far...

Wish list details

This "turnkey" system comes in at $2,7452.20, approximately $150.00 more than my original build listed at the top of this thread. That price is a piece for piece comparison of what I originally planned against recommendations presented here for true comparison purposes.

I am holding to the formula of not spending more than $1400.00 or so on a gaming pc. The extra $1300.00 comes into play with peripherals, etc., for someone who is starting from scratch with nothing on the desk (hypothetically).

Lemme know what ya'll think.

Thanks.

Wow. I couldn't imagine spending that much on a computer system.

I have a hard time spending $1500 on an entire system.

I think its a bit over the top but that's just me. When looking at the overall system I think its a good build.

Don't forget to pick up some MX-1 Thermal Paste or Artic Silver 5 Thermal Paste for the TT120 HSF.

Yeah, I'm having a hard time swallowing the price myself. It does include a few extras I can do without short term, so for the base gaming rig, I am back to the $1400+/- range.

The MX-1 thermal paste is a must and something I didnt even think to include in the wish list, but a good idea to add it just to cover all my bases.

The really sad thing is I am looking at how to expand beyond this for next gen upgrades and raid 0+1, etc. The good news is at least I will get a break on the cpu price very soon, heh.

Thanks again for everyone's input. I am comfortable with this rig, but still open to any and all feedback.

You could always save a some cash and just RAID 0 2 seagate 320gb drives instead of the Raptor :p That would save some cash, and you could downgrade to the P35-DS3R instead of the P35C-DS3R. The speakers and the soundcard can be dropped and pick up something cheaper easily. The speakers and soundcard are about $500.

Those are really the only major things I would change as it would probably drop the price down $750 roughly and when the q6600 drops in price it would be closer to $1k less which is considerably less. You could also save $100 and change to the 320mb 8800gts :p

Is there any benefits/shortfalls to running the 64bit version for the average user? I do do a lot of CAD work for my job and some Photoshop as well.

Is there any benefits/shortfalls to running the 64bit version for the average user? I do do a lot of CAD work for my job and some Photoshop as well.

yes.... u need the 64-bit, CAD needs 4gb ram, and 32bit won't recognize all of it if u get 4gb, so u need 64-bit

I understand that much, but beyond the ram issue what is the +/- to having the 64 bit? I am planning to install the 64 bit version anyway, am just curious. I haven't read up on Vista at all yet as I was waiting for initial bugs to get worked out and drivers be released. I rarely look at anything on its first run as its buggy as ****.

I am running CAD on my work computer with 8gig of ram now. I dont have any plans to do anything work related on this new build as this is purely my personal toy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom