x2 3600+ brisbane
evga 590
2 gb g-skill RAM
coolermaster elite 330
7900gs
160gb HD
some dvd-rw drive

I think wd has a similar warranty.

You don't really NEED 4 gigabytes of memory. 2 gigs does fine, but like always. eventually it will be nice to have all 4.

On the motherboard, if you ever wanted to upgrade to a newer chip down the road. the 680i might not have the support for it. I think that is the big reason why everyone is suggesting it.

Now on the SLI, I bought a SLI motherboard when I built my current rig thinking exactly what you did. I could just buy another card and have the performance I need. But when it comes time to do the upgrade the card is outdated, and when you compare it to just buying a new card that is back on top. The price just doesn't justify the performance in SLI.

I think wd has a similar warranty.

You don't really NEED 4 gigabytes of memory. 2 gigs does fine, but like always. eventually it will be nice to have all 4.

Agreed. It is not NEEDED but it's recommended to have 4gb.

On the motherboard, if you ever wanted to upgrade to a newer chip down the road. the 680i might not have the support for it. I think that is the big reason why everyone is suggesting it.

That would be another factor.

Now on the SLI, I bought a SLI motherboard when I built my current rig thinking exactly what you did. I could just buy another card and have the performance I need. But when it comes time to do the upgrade the card is outdated, and when you compare it to just buying a new card that is back on top. The price just doesn't justify the performance in SLI.

Agreed. :)

Rebuilding my wishlist on Newegg as I continue to read your posts.

I noticed no one has said anything about the mfr. of the gpu. I am assuming based on your silence that EVGA is a good brand for the 8800 series? I think I am going to go with the 8800gts 640 regardless of mfr (unless someone is running a killer rebate on a gtx) as I do want to be able to integrate my hdtv and need the higher resolutions.

Rebuilding my wishlist on Newegg as I continue to read your posts.

I noticed no one has said anything about the mfr. of the gpu. I am assuming based on your silence that EVGA is a good brand for the 8800 series? I think I am going to go with the 8800gts 640 regardless of mfr (unless someone is running a killer rebate on a gtx) as I do want to be able to integrate my hdtv and need the higher resolutions.

EVGA is the highest recommended Nvidia graphics card company, XFX being probably the second most known but they are always more expensive.

The 640 will help at higher resolutions yea but most HDTV's don't use that high of a resolution either.

Well, I have made most of the hardware changes which have been recommended so far and saved it to a Newegg.com public wish list. Newegg came in approximately $150 more with the changes. Once the public list is posted I will link it here.

Thanks again for all your input and feel free to keep the suggestions coming. I am interested to see what all happens on July 22nd. I am sure I will be tweaking some more between now and the beginning of August when I actually purchase.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom