old dell dimension 8100 wont boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick

Everything to Nothing
ok, "laugh haha he has a dell", well its old and not being used anyway but my mum decided she wanted to use it for work and other crap so she asked me to get it going, the hdd it has was f***** so i got an 80gB WD off my mate for a tenner chucked it in switched the power on nothing happens,

the fans spin, the hdd powers up and thats all. i removed the ram and got the beeping noises, reset the bios by taking out the battery but still no luck, ive looked at the tutorials but they were not of any help.

Here are specs:

WD 80GB Caviar IDE
1xDVD ROM
1x CD-RW
Pentium 4 1.73Ghz 432 (i think)
ATI 9250 256MB

I know one of the IDE ports is fried so im buying a IDE controller, so any suggestions on why this baby wont boot, im pretty sure its not a PSU problem

thanks in advance to everyones advice

Double check all connections to components and mobo, and check power connections. If you know one of the IDE ports is fried, double check to see if the other one your trying is too .. sounds like the board is in bad condition.

If you can get into BIOS make sure they are setup so that it tries to access HD or CD first, depending on what your trying to do.

nothing is displayed on the screen, it ran yesterday so i must have changed summin

Lets try this, look and see if your video card is hooked up to the monitor correctly, if so power on the PC and see if your monitor flickers on and off.... if it does this but won't completely turn on the monitor then I would say its the video card not unless it powers on in another pc.
Does your dell have onboard video ? I hope so because that will tell you wether your motherboard is faulty or not..... what I mean is this: if you can get it to display then its partly fine if not, its time look into buying another Motherboard with CPU.

Hope that helps.
-MadMikeXP-

thanks for the advice Mike, it has a ATI 9250 AGP gfx card but i switched it on fine the other day, im wondering if its an incorrect jumper setting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom