My planned build... am2 helpful hints welcome

Status
Not open for further replies.
yeah i think i got a bad e6400 or something. temps aren't too great on mine, at 350fsb and 1.35 volt it hovers around 48c idle. i don't know why? i have a scythe infinity on it, and i've remounted it multiple times. it might be the way it sits on the board though. i was going to lap it but i might just hold out till the e6750 comes out and get that and a ds3r and sell my old combo.

EVGA 122-M2-NF59-TR Socket AM2 NVIDIA nForce 590 SLI MCP ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail

Leadtek PX8500 GT 256MB Extreme GeForce 8500GT 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card - Retail

OCZ Platinum 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model OCZ2P8002GK - Retail

AMD Athlon 64 X2 3600+ Brisbane 1.9GHz Socket AM2 Processor Model ADO3600DDBOX - Retail

have psu monitor keyboard mouse case cd drive floppy ...
That Brisbane chip, with that motherboard, should be able to reach 3GHZ+. You'll need a 315 HTT bus speed, so you might need to use a RAM divider, even with high-end RAM.

apoko, care to explain wat dividers r since i do not really no too much about amd o/c always had intel.

from my understanding they are divided by ur htt (which is an amd fsb right?) to give u ur ram clock speed in mhz? is that right

apoko, care to explain wat dividers r since i do not really no too much about amd o/c always had intel.

from my understanding they are divided by ur htt (which is an amd fsb right?) to give u ur ram clock speed in mhz? is that right

ya its the amd fsb.......... thats all i really know about it :0

Correct me if I'm wrong, but dividers are the speed of you ram to fsb ratio, for instance if your RAM can't keep up with your fsb, so you have to lower it to DDR2 667 or something, so right then you have a different fsb:ram ratio, such as 4:5 rather than the usual 1:1

yeah basically. but usually your ram will surpass your divider if its at 1:1, but then you just tighten the timings to make up for it. it really just depends on what your trying to do and if your overclocking or not.

and to baron5 yeah the htt is equivalent to fsb to a intel machine. the only difference is the multiplier's on amd chips are higher so to push the htt is a little harder.

p.s. you have a nice little rig there rx7i2

well thanks guys for all the help.. hopefully get to build this rig buy school time... got a summer job 100 a week if i work until sept ill have over enough! thanks again for all the help, Later, Tyyk303

the difference between the FSB and the HTT is this:

Intel chips have to use a memory controller on the motherboard in order to communicate with RAM.
the FSB (Front Side Bus) is the speed between the CPU, and the memory controller.

However AMD's K8 chips have the memory controller on the CPU itself, so they don't need a FSB.
Instead, they can communicate directly with the RAM. (which is faster)

the HTT (HyperTransport) bus is the communication speed between the CPU and the memory.

Now, as for memory dividers:
Your RAM will run at a speed proportionaly to the FSB or HTT
the HTT bus at stock runs at 200MHZ (x5)
If you have DDR400 RAM, it will run at 200MHZ also

If you increase the HTT to 250, the RAM will also run at 250 (or DDR500)

A RAM divider just basically makes the RAM run slower, compared to the HTT bus

If you have a 5:3 ratio, it means that your RAM is running 5/3 of the HTT speed
which means if the HTT bus is at 200MHZ, your RAM will run at DDR333MHZ

^^that is an excellent explanation, apokalipse^^
one of the main differences also is that the ram speed is derived from the external clock speed "divided" by the ram speed, depending on what you have it (ram speed) set to in your bios.
confusing? kinda
say your clock speed is 2500mhz. you have your ram set to ddr2 800.
your ram would run at 2500/5(the "divider" for ddr2-800)...ie 500mhz.
this is different (as far as i know) from the intel divider system, based on fsb(not overall clock speed)/ram speed. i could be wrong there, as intel is as confusing to me as amd is to you. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom