what to upgrade?

Status
Not open for further replies.
i use headsets-sennheiser pc150
monitor-dell 2000fp 1600x1200 lcd monitor
mousepad-steel pad 4d
mouse-a nice microsoft optical

i use headsets because speakers are basically useless to me since I play counterstrike competevily and plan to play cs:source when half life comes out.also speakers would get everyone in my house mad

and im just wondering about getting a gig of ram because games coming out are really eating a lot of the ram....eq2 recommends a gig of ram

Your specs are fine. If you have no problem, save your money. You can up to 1GB of ram. Maybe some dual channel 2x512 of PC3200 (yes, PC3200, they would be useful in the future).

I would say more memory. Maybe some cooling then overclock your pc. I would go add either 2gb memory 1gbx2 plus the 512 you have or just 2 more 512's. Whatever you have money for i would add as much ram. Then get some good water cooling or heatsink and overclock. If you do water cooling get the swiftech h20 kit for 180. Which leaves u 420. Then you could add like 200 in ram. And maybe a sata or scsi hard drive. Theres a lot you could do. In my opionion because I have dont spend more then 50 bucks into your case. I mean buy a good case for about 100 but dont mod to much because I have and i feel wasted my money.

New games are coming out which take advantage of 1 G of RAM (FarCry is the 1st but not the last). Both would be an excellent update for you, RAM and video card. I would start with the video card though and save some more to get more RAM later on as the 9600 does not allow you to crank all details up at higher resolution (1280 X 1024 or 1600 X 1200) and play smoothly with high frame rate no matter how much ram you have.

well i am leaning towards the x800xt and then planning to sell my 9600xt and my 2 256 mb ram for a gig..does this sound good?also will my cpu (athlon xp 3000+)run these future games like they are meant to be played?

how much is the x800 xt and when will it come out? and if i do add it to my current system which is

amd athlon xp3 3000+
radeon 9600xt
512 mb dual channel ram

how much will it help?like say i get around 40-80 fps in WoW beta then what would getting this vid card boost it up too?

i actually have about $750 to spend so i guess i could get 2 things...what it be better to get the x800 and an athlon64 3200+ or to get the x800 and a gig of ram?

Coming from an avid gamer, I would get some corsair memory 1 gig which would put u too 1gig of corsair plus you already have 512. Then in about 6 months sell your graphics card, and get that 9800. Basically you dont need to upgrade anything but your ram. Kinda wasting money here if you ask me. Unless money is no object.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom