help with artic silver 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

krazyq

krazy Techie
I just got my new processor in the mail today. Opteron 165, i also ordered the as5 with it. I have never installed a processor before so im gonna have someone come in the late afternoon to do it...its my cousin so theres no charge.

The questions i have is where to apply the as5. I wanna apply it on the processor and my new gfx card that i got like 2 weeks ago.

Is their a link or could i guys give me instructions. I will have my cousins do it, but he isnt familiar with the as5.

as5 works like any other thermal paste.

Remove your hs/f. Clean it and the top of your CPU very well (I use alcohol... just use it on cotton swabs and you'll be fine). Put a dab about the size of a grain of rice/pea in the center of your CPU, replace the heatsink. The as5 will spread itself.

Same thing with your graphics card. remove the heatsink, clean it and the GPU, put some as5 on it (a bit less, as the GPU is smaller), and replace the heatsink.

are you saying put a new one or the same one back?

Either one. if you reuse the old one, put it back on. if not, put the new one on.

Don't you love it when it is that simple?

Doesn't AS5 have a 'curing' time associated with it? I thought i read somewhere that it takes 24-48 hours for it to reach its maximum potential but can be used right away.

It takes a little while to perform optimally. You don't want to overclock for at least a couple of weeks. It you use the new heatsink that came with your opty it should already have a thermal pad of AS5 on it so you do not need to use paste on the cpu.

o really sweet. I read on their website it takes 50-200 hours to take full effect. But thanks for lettting me know that. So i guess ill just apply it on my gfx card and hopefully it lowers my temps.

Thanks a lot guys.

Im on my way for a job interview...i need a job bad and maybe i can save up for a new mobo so i can overclock this opty...Ive read a lot about its potential to oc.

yeah there is a curing time that it should drop temperature a little over the course of 200 hours or so. but i've never head you can't oc after you apply it? i mean sure you can't expect to get optimal results right away..

You can overclock right away but it adds heat to the CPU. Why not wait a bit till the AS5 is fully cured before adding heat to the CPU.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom