I think it's fried ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brtnboarder495

Daemon Poster
Well go figure, I think my PC's fried. What happened was I was sending a file to my friend and all of a sudden everything just turned off ... but only for a few seconds. Anyways, I try to reboot (and already know it's not going to work), and it doesn't work. It tries to reboot and gets stuck 1/3 through the 3rd loading bar when XP tries to load. So I'm guessing somethings fried, but I have no way of even booting into safe mode because my keyboard and mouse provide no functionality even on the "boot into safe mode" screen.

Help Please!

I'm guessing this blue screen of death denotes a HD that doesn't work anymore, right? Oddly enough the screen stays on for a second I had to video camera it and take a pic of the video in order to paste it here.

Hello,

Your first step is to check your hard drive's health. You'll need your Windows XP Installation CD for this.

Boot into the disc and enter the recovery console. Once you've selected the Windows partition in the command line interface, enter chkdsk c: /r to check and hard drive. Afterwards, see if you can boot into Windows.

Thanks :) Doing that now, just taking a little bit of time.

In the mean time, in case I do need a new HD (just replacing the 10K Raptor 74Gb most likely), I'm also looking into some upgrades to make the jump from AMD to Intel's Core 2:

Memory

It's so cheap .. yet it seems decent, and I've heard that it's best for the Core 2's to match the 1066 FSB with 533mhz memory. If this isn't a decently performing memory choice, what is?

CPU

Hands down, my next CPU.

Any advice on a motherboard? I used to be active around here and knew what was good for x and y, but I'm sorta out of the loop at the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom