changing cpu...

Status
Not open for further replies.
im not sure if its the same as intel but like the c2d they always have a mobile version that doesnt produce as much heat slower clocks etc..

ohh.okayy.i would like to change..so most probabibly can right??but the athlon64 x2 is not a desktop one?

im not quite sure wat u mean. ino the athlon x2's are the am2 socket which is not a mobile cpu so in any circumstances it will not be in a laptop

ahhh sorry. i see u have a turion which is a mobile cpu. the athon brisbane/windsor x2;s are desktop while the turion is a latop. so it will not fit in a desktop motherboard. im not too sure on upgrading a laptop cpu but im guessing given the right socket and compatible motherboard u should be able to

Hello,

AMD's latest mobile processors are AMD Turion processors. You can get dual core Turion processors called 'AMD Turion X2'.

Ideally, you do not want to put a desktop processor into a laptop for heat and power consumption reasons. However, occasionally you do find laptops with desktop processors installed, but while this was common during the P4 era, it's not commonplace anymore.

What laptop are you thinking of upgrading?

i always thought since latops have slower fsb etc.. a desktop would be way too hot for a laptop and maybe not even run

ohh...cause i just bought a laptop relacing a desktop so i wont mind.i just saw a compaq laptop with a athlon 64 x2 so i was wanting to ask whether i can actually buy the laptop athlon cpu to put into my laptop.

im not quite sure wat u mean. ino the athlon x2's are the am2 socket which is not a mobile cpu so in any circumstances it will not be in a laptop
and socket 939 aswell (when they used DDR1), but socket 939 has stopped production completely now.
ahhh sorry. i see u have a turion which is a mobile cpu. the athon brisbane/windsor x2;s are desktop while the turion is a latop. so it will not fit in a desktop motherboard. im not too sure on upgrading a laptop cpu but im guessing given the right socket and compatible motherboard u should be able to
Yep, AMD uses the Turion 64's in Laptops. It uses socket 754 (Lancaster model only) or S1 (all other models, including the X2's)

The Turion 64's are designed for power efficiency and low heat output, and have a maximum TDP rating of 35W, though can be as low as 25W.
Athlon 64 X2's start at 65W.

The Turion 64's don't perform as well as Athlon 64's do, but they don't use as much battery power or cause the laptop to start burning your legs every time you sit down with it

Okay, I don't actually know how hot Laptops usually run with Athlon 64 processors, so I don't know if they will cause the laptop to get hot like their Pentium 4 counterparts did.

Whose stupid idea was it to stick Pentium 4's in laptops, anyway?

*edit*
they do have Athlon 64's (socket 754) in laptops, but I'm not sure if this includes dual core's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom