Overclocking the e6600

Status
Not open for further replies.

murdocsvan

Web Programmer
okay im still having a little trouble with overclocking my e6600 2.4Ghz. at the moment ive managed to get it up to 2.8Ghz, and it stays at around 30C while idle. However, if i try to get it up to 3.0Ghz the system suddenly becomes very unstable. the stock voltage for the CPU is 1.45V, but ive set it up to 1.5V. increasing the voltage made it more stable. the only trouble i have with increasing it further is that this guide:

Core2Duo Overclocking Guide v1.1

states that i should INCREASE the voltage of the e6600 to 1.4v. so either the guide is wrong, or i am already running a bad risk at 1.5v of frying my CPU.

so can anyone tell me if its safe to increas the voltage further? if so, by how much? and whats the highest voltage this CPU can take before it becomes dangerous? or is it even the voltage which is making my computer is unstable?

if its the memory thats causing it, the default FSB for it is 800. but whenever i change that the motherboard wont let me boot, and ive already whipped out a motherboard simply by changing the timer settings of the ram from 'Normal' to 'Aggressive'. so basically if i have to change any memory settings to make it more stable, its a no-go, and ill leave it at 2.8Ghz.

And what have you set the other voltages too?
MCH Voltage?
FSB Voltage?
RAM Voltage?

Most people get by fine with:
MCH and FSB Voltage of + 0.2 Volts
RAM Voltage of + 0.3 Volts.

What are RAM Timming?

I have one of the worst OCing E6600's and I have 3.303 Ghz SMP Stable At
Vcore: 1.51265V
MCH: + .2 V
FSB: +.2 V
RAM: + .3 V
Timmings: 4-3-3-10
Temps are 50C on SMP.

What heatsink are you using and what are Load temps?
Also, did you disable everything in the CMOS that it told you to?

yeah everything i could find. i think about the only feature my motherboard doesnt have is the settings for ram. theres nowhere for me to change the timings and all i can do is change the voltage, ratio of CPU:RAM, and the FSB of the ram. the FSB of the ram is the only thing im not willing to increase. its currently at the default of 800, but if i increase it, the computer wont boot, and the bios resets itself (as a safety feature). the voltages for everything apart from the CPU is 1.5v, but everything else is set to 'Normal' and havent increased it at all.

also i cant see anywhere anything about MCH. the maximum FSB of my ram is 1066 and the timings for it are 5-5-5-12 but my n650SLI-DS4 mobo wont let me change them anywhere. but ill try and increase the voltage like you stated and see if that makes it anymore stable. thanks for replying.

also the load temps are around 40-45C. im using a thermaltake golden orb II which lowered idle temp to around 40C then i opened the case up and have a desktop fan blowing on it which lowered idle times further to 30C.

I suggest you read the manual or find an Online PDF for the motherboard and find out how to make the changes or unlock the areas where you can.

Its there, and if its not you bought a ****** mobo to OC on..

i just bumped my fsb to 1332 without changing anything else..my speedstep is still on, voltages all stock

I suggest you read the manual or find an Online PDF for the motherboard and find out how to make the changes or unlock the areas where you can.

Its there, and if its not you bought a ****** mobo to OC on..

lol i think you may be right. or its just disguised as something else. but the motherboard has really been marketed by gigabyte as being a great bored to OC on. and it probably is. its got one of the easiest BIOS setouts ive seen for tweaking stuff. ill have a good scourge of the manual.

okay tried increasing voltage of ram and upping the FSB from 800 to 850

wouldnt boot, so i think we can forget about the ram. its staying put as it is.

im going to start using a program called EasyTune 5 instead of actually using the BIOS. that way i can change all the settings and it has an immediate affect. basically ive tried using it, and if i increase it to 3.2Ghz it immediately crashes. i really am not getting a straight answer here. do i need to increase the voltage on the CPU to stop it crashing at 3.2Ghz?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom