8800 GTS runs Really *HOT*...

Status
Not open for further replies.
the score is more based on GPU then CPU i think, only 1 CPU test compared to 4 graphics test...my cpu score jumped like 400-500 points, my overall score only jumped like 300 or so points...and yea they do run that hot...almost every other 8800 owner says they idle at 50-55

Wouldn't it run better if it were cooler? I see no reason that that much thermal energy shouldn't be able to be dissipated by a more efficient heatsink and fan. I find the design of the cooler on that card personally appalling - the engineer in me wants to beat whoever designed it over the head with a lawn chair. There's got to be something out there that will make it run cooler, right?

I think total score was around 8900... I neglected to write it down.

I wouldn't be surprised if the EVGA thermal paste blows anyway. I'm seriously considering taking the whole thing apart and replacing it with MX-1, but again, I'm not sure how well that would work... if they're running the fan at only 60%, there's got to be something wrong with them.

Invisible, I looked into those thermalight coolers, but they're WAY too big to fit on my board... It's bad enough the 8800 takes up two slots, but I need a heatsink that isn't going to make it take up 3-4. If I put it below, it blocks another PCI slot and gets in the way of SLI, and if I put it above, the northbridge heatsink would be in the way.

It's too bad the compact little Zalman coolers don't fit the 8800 series.

Its not EVGAs fault, nvidia set the chipset to default 60%. I say you just RMA your card like I did. Theres no reason at all you should need a aftermarket cooler unless ur OCing the crap out of it. My card was getting all those temps all stock settings! The Rivatuner 100% fan speed brought down the idle to 65 celcius, 62 at times and allowed me to play any game. Still thought I'd rather figure Id listen to the EVGA guys and just RMA the card.

It's alright. the 8800's typically run hot. Mine is idling at 56C as well. There are many variables that could cause different scores, especially with small differences like yours. I wouldn't worry about it.

also: Welcome to AnandTech.com [ Article: GeForce 8800 GTS 320MB Roundup] this has a graph about idle/load temps near the bottom as you can see our 56C temps aren't out of the ordinary.

Actually idling at 56 C is design idle temp, take a look at some benchmarks they all run mid 50s for idle temp not 74 like mine

we agree that yours flew the coop, we're talking about cunjo's card...hes worried about 55 idle when he shouldn't be

ur worried at 56 degrees idle??? wow.... not to worry... its fine, it loads are usually in the high 80's still nto to worry about

man i dun even like mine going over 80 i do my best to make sure it doesnt. usually once i hit 82 i get artifacts in atitool

I'm a little worried about getting a 8800GTX when at the moment my 7600GT idles at 61C and when under load gets to 75C. I only have 2 case fans (a 120mm exhaust in the rear, and a 80mm window fan intake). I'm thinking about getting an HR-03 Plus because I hear 8800GTX runs really hot and 7600GTs shouldn't be running this hot.

But then again my room is hot as f***, especially in the mornings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom