8800 GTS runs Really *HOT*...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cunjo

Daemon Poster
EVGA GeForce 8800 GTS 320MB

It's idled at 55-56 C... I just ran 3DMark06, and it ran up to 72 C just from those short, 1-2 minute tests, and probably would have kept climbing if they hadn't ended (the temp graph was still going up).

my scores were 3597 SM2 and 3662 SM3.

A friend of mine has the exact same card, and he scored about 150 points higher on both tests. I suspect my high temperature may have something to do with it.

I noticed that for how hot the card was running, there was so little hot air being pushed out the back of the card by the pathetic VGA cooler fan that I almost couldn't feel the breeze with my finger right across the vent.

Is there an aftermarket cooler I can install on my card that will keep its temps more manageable? What do people here recommend?

Also, any tips on installation would be great, especially if someone else has taken apart one of these EVGA 8800 cards before.

what was your total score? i think i have a system very similar or exactly the same as yours.i scored over 10k with E6600, MSI P6N PLATINUM, and 8800gts 640mb

You think thats hot? My 8800 GTX Idled at friggin 74 celcius! and who knows what the temperature was on full load becuase it couldn't even run benchmark 2006 and shut down the whole computer. I fixed the problem by getting Rivatuner ( award winning and everyone uses it ) and boosted the default fan speed of 60% to 100% and that brought the temps down 10 celcius. Still however all the EVGA people I called told me the card probably didn't have enough thermal paste on it and told me to either do it myself or RMA it. I opted for the latter...

I think total score was around 8900... I neglected to write it down.

I wouldn't be surprised if the EVGA thermal paste blows anyway. I'm seriously considering taking the whole thing apart and replacing it with MX-1, but again, I'm not sure how well that would work... if they're running the fan at only 60%, there's got to be something wrong with them.

Invisible, I looked into those thermalight coolers, but they're WAY too big to fit on my board... It's bad enough the 8800 takes up two slots, but I need a heatsink that isn't going to make it take up 3-4. If I put it below, it blocks another PCI slot and gets in the way of SLI, and if I put it above, the northbridge heatsink would be in the way.

It's too bad the compact little Zalman coolers don't fit the 8800 series.

are you using vista? and don't worry about the temperature, its supposed to run hot...i don't get over 65 on load though, 50 or so idle...its actually sitting at 49 right now, but thats the lowest i've ever seen it...even at stock i got a 95xx on 3dmark06, once i overclocked my CPU, it went to 10k

They're designed to run that hot.

The reason your friends card scored higher was because the CPU along with other factors can increase your score.

They're designed to run that hot.

The reason your friends card scored higher was because the CPU along with other factors can increase your score.

My CPU score actually blew his away to the point where my overall was significantly higher. Our systems are very nearly identical, except he's using stock Intel cooling on his CPU, and is only overclocked to 2500MHz, while I'm overclocked to 3200MHz.

I am really concerned about the lack of hot air coming out the back of that card. If the core is really at nearly 170 degrees Fahrenheit, I should at least be feeling some warmth leaving the system, and I'm just not... I'm sure if I ran a GPU-intensive render for more than 2-3 minutes, that temp would keep climbing, and I'm worried about damaging the card.

I know they run hot, but they shouldn't run THAT hot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom