Vista activation problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay first off that is assuming that the person didnt install Vista Ultiamte to begin with so there would be no chance to UPGRADE. If they already install Ultimate then how can you upgrade if you already have the best?

Also you are taking Paul Thurott's advice. He has been wrong more times than right when it comes to Vista and its working. So i would take his "procedure" with a grain of salt. I am not saying it can not be done. But Paul never mentions that you cant isntall Ultimate first does he? If you install Ultimate and then try to upgrade what will happen? Nothing.

You are mistaken.

Firstly, this procedure was not invented by Paul Thurrot. It is just outlined by him. The procedure (which allows the user to perform a clean install of Vista on a PC using an upgrade disc, then activate it with an upgrade license key) is documented the same wherever you search on the Internet, and was originally discovered as a workaround for the KB930985 problem.

DailyTech - Workaround Discovered For "Clean Install" With Vista Upgrade DVDs
Use Vista Upgrade CD for a clean install, then extend the 30 day limit to 120… ~ Tech for the Non-Techie

Secondly, if you perform a clean install of Vista (Ultimate edition for example) using an upgrade disc, then perform a Vista upgrade (Ultimate editon again for example) on the OS using the upgrade disc afterwards, something does happen. The OS is overwritten. You may think this is pointless, but you need to perform the 'upgrade' after already doing a clean install of Vista on the system (even though you're installing the same edition of Vista on top of the already installed Vista edition) in order to be able to enter the upgrade product key to activate the copy of Vista.

The term upgrade in this context refers to the action of performing an upgrade from one edition to any Vista edition, even though if it is upgrading to the same Vista edition already installed. So, one can upgrade from Vista Premium to Vista Premium for example. It does not have to be from one Vista edition to a higher edition.

Max Power said he performed this procedure on his new PC, by doing...

...the thing where you install vista upgrade then upgrade from that...

If performed correctly it should have worked. Max Power, make sure that you've only used the upgrade product key on one computer, as only one machine can be activated with on product key at a time.

...I tried to reinstall vista and start over but now it wont boot from my vista dvd. When i try to boot from the dvd it just starts up my vista installation.

Ensure that the boot order in your BIOS is set with your DVD drive as the 1st boot device.

Ok well after calling them alot and being transfered alot.. they gave me a full version product key for free. They knew that I booted off the upgrade disc because of the error code but I told them I own XP which I do anyways. But ya after being on the phone for about 2 hours I got a free full version product key.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom