New CPU = reformat?

Status
Not open for further replies.

calsonic

Baseband Member
hi all,
i am about to put a new cpu in my pc (going from an athlon 64 to an athlon X2)
i was wondering if anyone new that this would require me to reformat.
btw i have 2 hard drives, one small 20 GB with windows xp pro on it and one 200 GB with all my stuff on it (games, music etc.)
thanxs.

No you don't have to worry about that. It's only when you change the motherboard, that you would have to reinstall Windows.

You may have to flash your BIOS, though. When I went from my 3200+ to my current CPU, i had to flash my BIOS for the mobo to utilize both cores.

Basically, it depends on how old/new your mobo is.

No you don't have to worry about that. It's only when you change the motherboard, that you would have to reinstall Windows.

I just had to replace the mobo on my machine a few weeks ago and I never re-installed but windows seemed to find drivers for it all right and everything seems to be working. Should I go ahead and install the drivers from mobo site and reinstall?

There are few occasions where you don't have to reinstall Windows. If you said everything looks alright, why should you reinstall the drivers.

You may have to flash your BIOS, though. When I went from my 3200+ to my current CPU, i had to flash my BIOS for the mobo to utilize both cores.

Basically, it depends on how old/new your mobo is.
Dang, but people are reading my mind today. Exactly right. If you look at BIOS upgrades often, a large number of those lately are for to allow new (Core 2 duo) processors and/or Vista compatibility. Upgrade the BIOS before swapping the CPU, of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom