run ATA hard drive and SATA? wont recognize SATA?

Status
Not open for further replies.

turndigital

Solid State Member
Hi i've got a p4 built on an intel D865PERL motherboard. I used to run only a 160G SATA hard drive, and I decided to get a new hard drive. I bought and installed a 300G ATA hard drive, and installed windows XP on it.

The problem is that the SATA isnt recognized anymore. When I load the bios before startup, it doesnt even show up!
I have tried a bios upgrade, and it already had the latest bios version.
I have also tried going into device manager, to see if it had to be enabled under the admin username, but of course its not recognized in the bios so it wouldnt show up there...

The old SATA still has windows installed on it. i was hoping to run both hard drives for a while, and transfer over data onto the new ATA drive and then remove the SATA and run the one hard drive.

Does anyone know why I cant run the SATA with the ATA? I thought this would be possible!? Is it because I have windows installed on the SATA, i wouldnt think that would be a problem in recognizing the drive...

well i thought they were sort of separate things. like i didnt think you had to worry about master/slave with SATA unless you ran two SATA drives on one channel.

but no the ATA drive is set to master. it runs off the primary IDE slot. and i have two disc drives that run on the secondary IDE slot. (not that that matters)

and the sata runs as master too. i dont think you have to set the jumper on the sata because it is the master on its slot.... eventually i want to run the ATA drive only, and if i run it by itself it works on master just fine, like i expected it to.

should i set the ata to slave? that doesnt seem to make sense to me...

no the bios settings isnt set to IDE mode, i checked that out too. i even tried enabling ide mode and then disabling it and still nothing.

yeah it is set to enhanced. it was on enhanced even before the parallel ata drive was installed. the other options are Disabled, and Legacy. It should definately be on enhanced tho.

I'm at work right now, so I cant check my comp out from here. but i downloaded a 30 page PDF file from the INTEL support site that goes step by step through all the bios settings. so im gonna try going through everything and seeing whats what. I'm pretty sure everythings set up properly though, there are only a few settings in the bios that could cause this problem, but yet it seems to be a bios problem, so we'll see

i think you only need to set one to slave and one to master if you have them on the same cable. the sata isnt really a slave because its not on the same IDE cable as the parallel ata. i guess if im gonna try it, i would set the sata to slave if anything. i will try that when im back home. i'm pretty sure that i read that with SATA drives you dont set the jumpers at all unless you are running more than one sata drive on a channel and im not.

yeah i found it. in the manual for the SATA drive it says this
"Unlike standard ATA drives, Serial ATA drives do not require the use of
jumpers to configure the drive."

so if anything i would have to set the ATA drive to slave, but that doesnt make sense because it is the master IDE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom