G.Skill....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cunjo

Daemon Poster
Ok, this is the RAM I bought:
Newegg.com - G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail

It says that it's 4-4-4-12 at 800MHz, right?

well, CPU-Z lists it as 5-5-5-15 and 400MHz. I can adjust the timings in my BIOS, but the speed in the BIOS is already set at 800MHz, and turning it up to 802 has no effect on the actual RAM speed in the system or CPU-Z.

Is it factory underclocked, or a defect? or did they deliver the wrong product or what? It seems to me that if I'm to pay $130 for a couple sticks of RAM, they should have the timings I bought them for....

anyone have any experience working with G.Skill Ram Specs?

EDIT: Also, the box and (extremely minimal) manual(2x3 card with a table on one side) are in Chinese, so I can't really tell you anything about it other than that.

Whats the problem? You can change timmings manually to that..

I have exact same RAM, CPU Z Says the Same thing as yours does but when SPD Set the timmings in my CMOS it was to 4-4-4-12..

Even if it set them to 5-5-5-15 you can set them much lower than that, at 800 Mhz...

I am running 4-3-3-10 @ 734 Mhz.

Theres nothing wrong with your RAM. Programs aren't as accurate as you may think. Even still, you can change them yourself...

Ok, well I've changed the timings (for those settings) to 4-4-4-12, but I'm still not sure what to set the other timings to in order to make it sync up with the rest.

Also, what should I do about the speed? is it SUPPOSED to say 400MHz in CPU-Z? or should it say 1600MHz in the BIOS? (I just tried turning down the RAM timing to match the FSB (actual) speed of 700 or something, and now CPU-Z says 350 or something) Basically, what do I want the RAM speed to read in CPU-Z for a good overclock? since one option is double the other, I'm hesitant to mess with it.

And should it be at 2T for DDR? CPU-Z says 1T, though admittedly I'm not positive I know what that means.

Do you at least have the latest version of CPU-Z?

I downloaded it yesterday, so I should (theoretically).

yeah, everything is working fine...I've got 3gb of the same ram. In CPUZ it will show your ram running as 400mhz for DDR2-800. I'm 99% sure this is accurate...that's what my BIOS reads as well (F11 bios on gigabyte DS3) so it should be right. In otherwords DDR2-*** is actually running at 1/2 the *** in mhz if you follow me.

Yes and no... so you're basically saying that 400MHz in CPU-Z equates to 800MHz RAM Speed in the same sort of way that 1200MHz Rated FSB equates to 400MHz FSB Speed?

In other words, if I want my RAM at 800MHz, 400MHz is what I should be shooting for in CPU-Z?

if you have an intel processor, your FSB is quad pumped...divide your FSB by 4, multiply it buy your multiplier and you'll get your processor speed...DDR RAM runs at a combined speed, if you have DDR2-800, each ram chip runs at 400MHz...

ex. my processor is running at a FSB of 1332/4 = 333....333x9=2.997=3.0GHz

if you have an intel processor, your FSB is quad pumped...divide your FSB by 4, multiply it buy your multiplier and you'll get your processor speed...DDR RAM runs at a combined speed, if you have DDR2-800, each ram chip runs at 400MHz...

ex. my processor is running at a FSB of 1332/4 = 333....333x9=2.997=3.0GHz

Well I got that much. I've been using CPU*4/9 for RFSB in BIOS. But thanks, that clarified a lot.

Would you say it's better to have your RAM run at a multiple of your FSB speed where possible?

i have no idea what that is about...i did set my ram to 444 just because i liked seeing a ratio of 3:4 better then like 10:13 or some other odd number...people say 1:1 ratio is better but i probably can't tell the difference in normal applications so i didn't bother

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom