Q's about a new build!

Status
Not open for further replies.

fastrandstrongr

In Runtime
Alright, so I've decided to get in on the price cuts in July and will be building COMPLETELY new rig (which basically means computer + monitor).

I'd like to stay as close to 1,000 bucks as possible, including shipping. Here's what I've got so far:

Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3
OCZ Platinum Revision 2gb PC-6400
XCLIO Goodpower 500W
EVGA 8800GTS 320mb
Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro
Samsung Spinpoint 400gb SATAII
ASUS 18x DVD Burnere SATA
Acer 19" Widescreen

The total there is 913 with shipping and I'd get 65 back with rebates...

My questions are: is this a good setup? can i overclock well? and, most importantly, which processor should I get?

Thanks!

I would get the Gigabyte P35 DS3R mobo it is penryn compatible and it is also a better OCer than the P965. Get G.Skill HZ RAM. Get Samsung DVD and Screen. Nice choice on the samsung hard disk i have been ranting on about that for ages it is very good.

Agreed with Vaanish. Go for the 500GB Samsung. It's only about $20 more, for 100GB more of space.

What about case? Or do you already have one. For that budget, definitely the Cooler Master Centurion 5.

im not really worried about the case, i'll just pick one up on sale at the tigerdirect warehouse store in IL when the time comes.

my reasoning for going with 400gb was that it cost 5 bucks more than the 320gb, and i couldnt justify paying $20 more for another 100gb. Also, does samsung have a sata burner? thats really the only reason i went with asus... its got sata and lightscribe.

thanks for the replies guys. also, what processor?

turns out the samsung dvd-rw is 10 bucks more... eh, i'll decide between the two when im ready to purchase.

Either a Q6600 or E6750. The former if you use lots of multi-threaded apps, and the latter if you are a gamer or you want to overclock it big style and arnet really that bothered about ultra performance in dvd-encoding and the like.

ok sweet. i think i will decide between the e6550 and the 6750. i dont use many mutli-threaded apps, but i will be clocking this thing like mad to help me with my folding simulations at work.

is the higher frequency on the 6750 worth the price?

It's only $20 more, which isn't much. And the e6750s have been known to hit the 3.5+GHz range, quite easily with the P35-DS3R motherboard, and good cooling.

Oh if your using folding applications, then a Q6600 would be a good choice, as you could use 4 appliations on the four cores. The Q6600 will be also made wit the G0 stepping, so it will be a better overclocker than before (though not nearly as good as the E6750)

funny thing, my coworkers and i just updated our own (self-written, mind you) folding package to run on multicores. the q6600 is very tempting, but its starting to get a little out of my budget. i'd like to stay as close to 1000 as possible.

is there any place i can skimp a little bit?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom