Windows Vista 64 bit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

homer105

Baseband Member
Hi
I am using Windows Vista Ultimate 32bit and I have a 64bit processor. Should I upgrade to 64bit? What are the benefits?

Will all my software and games work? I want to upgrade because I saw a video of it against 32bit edition where they were putting a digital effect on a MASSIVE image. It took 32bit about 2 mins and 64 about 30secs.

Who here has it?

Please advise
Thanks

Well there are few factors you need to understand.

1. Software apps have to be programmed to run 64 bit
2. Hardware has to have 64-bit support in the form of a software driver
3. Do a search on Google there are alot of resources that will tell you benefits of it.

But I think the biggest thing is just making sure all your hardware has 64 bit driver support and obviously you are running a CPU capable (in your case you're fine) of 64 bit.

I plan on building a new system sometime early next year and I plan to use my Vista Ult. 64 bit but planning your hardware is crucial.

my 2 cents...

Ok,
Well, i'll check all my hardware manufactuers and take a not of all my hardware that has 64bit software drivers then I will decide.

Thanks

Hi again, I just want to ask. What kind of hardware would not be supported because things like DVD drives would work anyway would they not? My Graphics card and soundcard are both supported. Also How do I upgrade from Vista 32bit to 64bit? I would like to keep all my files etc.

Thanks

wireless is a pain to find any drivers for 64 bit and you might have trouble with motherboard drivers best to check manufactures website.

Also you cant upgrade from 32 bit to 64 bit it`ll need a fresh install if you partitioned your hard drive. You can move all your files to another partition then format your vista partition such as:

c: vista
d:games
e:files

I have a 500GB External hard drive. Is there any way of me putting everything apart from WIndows onto that and when i format my hard drive i can restore everything from that drive and all my apps and games won't need to be reinstalled. Also for future benefit. Could I have 2 partitions, one with all my apps and files and one just for operating systems and when I format my OS partition and install a new one all my apps/docs will be there?

Thanks

yes windows has a backup feature under control panel you can backup your files to your hard drive. Or you can just drag and drop but your games and applications will need to be reinstalled, and if you want to create partitions when your installed vista again make sure to look in the advanced options when installing it gives you the option to partition.

How about if I copied everything including all my apps to my external drive and then do a full registry backup and when 64 bit is installed i would open the registry and the keys would go in afer I copy all the apps back.

Also installing OS on another partition and formatting and re-installing, would there be problems there with the registry?

Well why would you want to do that unless you are reinstalling all the time. I would just recommend backing up the files you need and just reinstall the software. I don't know if that would work or not but I wouldn't recommend it..

i wouldnt upgrade to 64 bit alot of software and drivers dont have 64 bit support yet and ive heard games run bad and sometimes not at all in 64 bit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom