Uh Oh..I think it's dead. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

internationalballr

Solid State Member
Last night when I went to sleep, my laptop was working just fine. Now, it seems to have died. When I went to boot it up this morning, it gave me a dreaded beep code.

My question is now, does the first beep count towards the code or just inform you to listen to the following code? I got kind of confused. It gives me three beeps. Three beeps on an HP means Memory error. So I opened it up, and made sure they were secure. Next, I took one out, and then the other. Nothing.

Two beeps mean power supply failure, and I dont know how to even begin there.

So yeah..and my mfg warranty says that it could be gone for a few weeks. Best buy has a warranty on it, but they say atleast 4 weeks. Anything some of you can suggest before I ship it off?

Just ship it off, you might have voided the warranty by opening it up..

Just hope they don't catch it and send it back with nothing done or fixed.

Its always better if under a warranty to just let them deal with it.. IMO

So yeah..and my mfg warranty says that it could be gone for a few weeks. Best buy has a warranty on it, but they say atleast 4 weeks. Anything some of you can suggest before I ship it off?
Have you had it for more then a month? If not, I'd demand a replacement from Best Buy.

They seriously say 4 weeks though? That's insane...considering many people need their laptop for work or school...

I've had it for almost a year. HP basically said that if I want it back fast I have to renew my warranty because I'm not considered a priority. So if I pay them, they'll speed it up to around 3 days..

(I only have 21 days left on my mfg warranty. So they want me to pay for another year.)

I've had it for almost a year. HP basically said that if I want it back fast I have to renew my warranty because I'm not considered a priority. So if I pay them, they'll speed it up to around 3 days..

(I only have 21 days left on my mfg warranty. So they want me to pay for another year.)
I'm not sure what it would take for "admissible" evidence, maybe a phone recording would do, I don't know... but if you could get that...you'd have an easy lawsuit on your hands. Regardless, don't sit on it, as time passes too quick. :(

I've dealt with HP support only once, and that was with an issue on their docking station for the notebook. They were retarded and the ultimate reason I returned it (the "high end" laptop) was because of the nonsense they tried tellin' me.

Hello,

Specifically, what HP laptop do you have?

It's alright to dismantle your HP laptop. Your HP warranty will still be valid. In fact, you can buy replacement parts on the HP website, and they make PDF laptop service guides available to view online on their website, for users to self service their laptops.

Does anything appear on the display? If so, what?

How long have you had this laptop?

A long time ago I had to ship my HP / Compaq desktop PC to HP for repair under warranty. It was returned to me within a speedy 5 days. However, laptops will take longer to service due to their complexity compared to desktop PCs.

In fact, my current HP notebook was just returned to me yesterday, after a gruelling 8 weeks in HP warranty repair! All that was needed was that the BIOS needed reflashing / motherboard needed replacing. Phoned HP and complained numerous times as the weeks passed, but on many occasions customer services were unsure of the progress and were unable to give me an ETA.

Since your laptop is way past the store guarantee period, then your only choice is to send it off to HP for warranty repair. Since your laptop still has 21 days manufacturer warranty remaining, if you return it before this expires, then HP should repair it for you. You should not need to extend your HP warranty in order to be entitled to a warrantly repair, since your existing warranty is still active. They are just trying to get hold of your money and gain more revenue.

But having said that, it's always good to have a manufacturer warranty, especially for laptops.

I have a dv6045nr, and I bought it in August of 2006. And no, nothing comes up on the display. I know that they have to fix it, but they are telling me basically if I want it back with any speed involved, I have to purchase a new warranty. (I think I'm just going to add a year or two with HP and have it so that it has the express repair option. I have the accidental damage coverage though Bestbuy for two more years. That way, in case I do drop it, or something, atleast I'm not out of the money.)

I wish I hadn't bought a warranty through Best Buy, because all they will do is return it to HP and its going to take atleast 4 weeks. (At least thats what Geek Squad says) They said that they do nothing with Memory issues. To me thats basically a waste. I should have just bought an extended warranty though HP directly.

I wasn't worried about them voiding the warranty because I opened it. If you have an HP, you can just call them and tell them that you got the memory beep code, and that one of your RAM chips is shot and they will just send you a new one with a installation guide. ;-) Thats what they wanted to do with mine, and insisted that I kept putting the RAM in wrong...

Take it to a local Circuit City if you have one. We are authorized repair centers for HP's. If it's bad memory the store will order a new part from HP who overnights it to us. If it's something more complicated we're required to ship it off, but it gets overnighted to HP, is there an average of 1-2 days, then overnighted back to the store. I do about 2-3 a week like this and they're almost always back to the customer within about a week. I do once in a while get longer delays, but they're not common.

Deal with HP or Circuit City and not geek squad. I once had a best buy warranty on a laptop. Sent it off to their service center 4 times, an average of 1-2 months gone each time, and they never did get it fixed. One time I sent it off cuz it wouldn't power on. When I picked it up, it STILL wouldn't ><

Oh and no, don't purchase the extended HP warranty, it won't speed the process up any. Like I said, it's actually rather quick already.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom