Slow Boot XP - Long Time Before Startup Sound Comes On

Status
Not open for further replies.

Knowledge

Baseband Member
I have a machine at the Office here and whenever I boot up, either from scratch or from a restart, the desktop loads and it looks like windows is loaded. But then certain things wont come up and about seriously 5 minutes later I hear the startup sound and I get the volume icon in the taskbar. It takes a little while before I actually get to windows.

Ive looked in the startup services in msconfig and un-checked all of the stuff that I know didnt need to be loaded... but I still have this issue. I know this has happend before but I forgot how I fixed it.... stupid me :)

Specs:
Windows XP Pro SP1
AMD Athlon XP 2200
ECS K7S5A Motherboard
120GB WD HD
512 PC133 ram

TIA

Take a look at your prefetch folder in Windows XP
%systemdrive%\prefetch. You want to delete everything
in there and windows will repopulate it with what is needed. This is along with other things is usually what causes slow boots for Windows XP machines especially on a network. I'll
try to find the microsoft link on some other problems.

Good Luck

Also if you have mapped network drives that are configured to
connect at login this can cause slow start ups.

Great idea. I did it though, and it did not work :(

After some research, I found out that it was actually Nortons Anti-Virus that was the fault. The problem was a file called "ccEvtMgr.exe" wasnt loading properly and was corrupt along with "ccEvt.dll". I set these files not to load on bootup, and Windows came right up with no problems... The only thing is Nortons didnt load :(

So, what Ill have to do is uninstall Nortons and Re-Install. Hopefully that will make it work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom