Can u remove stock heatsink and replace?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hookster264

In Runtime
I am finalizing my first build and am reaching my maximum budget. I should have a little extra in a month or so and was wanting to upgrade my psu and heatsink then. If I install the stock heatsink, can it be easily removed and replaced, or does it cause all kind of a mess tearing it off of the mobo?

I wouldn't necessarily consider it "easy" as that's a relative term. If you can follow instructions, then you'll be able to get it done. However if you're tearing it off the mobo, then you might have a few problems ;)

Taking off the HSF is fairly easy. You just have to make sure that you replace the thermal paste.

Does the thermal paste solidify, thus making it harder to remove? Also, does the cpu come with paste in the box or do I have to buy it seperately?

All retail aftermarket coolers come with some kind of thermal paste, but usually it's not all that great. Some arctic silver 5 is a good choice, however there may be some other better ones out there such as mx-1 paste. When removing your heatsink, once you have it unmounted and it's just sitting on the cpu, twist it while pulling up, that will help with the removal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom