Major PC Problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.

wombie

Beta member
HELP!!

Don't even know where to begin with this one! ok basically.

SETUP
2.8Ghz Pentium 4
gig of DDR Ram
2 x 160Gb hard drives

PROBLEM:
The hard drives are partitions up as follows. Drive 1 has a 10 gig windows partition and the rest is for stuff and drive 2 is split at 80 gigs into 2 partitions.

Whenever I copy any data over anywhere the computer restarts and windows is no longer there. sometimes but not every time the partitions will also get wiped. At first I thought it was the hard drive so i got a new one. hence why i have 2! but it still did it so i thought it must be the motherboard so i got a new motherboard. This seemed to cure the problem and nothing happened for a couple of months, until just now! I turned on my computer and the second hard drive was completely blank, no partitions or anything. then i formatted it and copyed some of my backed up data over and the computer restarted with no indication and when it tried to boot up it couldn't because windows wasn't there!!!

whats going on!! I can't think of anything.

I did a memory test on the ram and it seemed ok. i did a cpu test and left it on overload for 6 hours but it was ok then too. I just have no idea whats up.

any help would be very greatfully recieved!!

PS its not a virus as both drives have been formatted and virus scanned!

thanks a lot

errrm yeah i think so.
when it restarts it does so very rapidly as though the power had been cut, but it restarts straight away.

would a power issue cause all my data ect to vanish?

What kind of power supply do you have?

You shouldnt lose any data, but a bad/weak power supply could easily cause that kind of instability.

iether test the PS or try another one.It sounds like your losing power somewhere.Or the PS is overheating and shutting down .

This has happened to me also on an older computer, I changed the Power Supply from a 250W to a 400W.

I don't know what kind of power supply i have in at the minute. whats reckomended for my system? a 400W? I'll try changing it.

thanks for your help guys

they are IDE, yeah the partition is empty If it was the D:\ its now unpartitioned space.

The motherboard is a MSI 648F Neo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom