system build question

Status
Not open for further replies.
K, makes sense to me....and speaking of video cards, the All in wonders are what I've used in the past to allow me to game and video edit. However, it seems to be that they are more and more scarce these days.

As for your Sound Card and DVD burner/player, yes, you will be fine, that motherboard has PCI slots and has IDE.

And as for AMD or Intel, that's pretty much to you, I prefer AMD, but I think most people would say Intel. So go with the prices/quality, what you want, that's all, listen to your heart!!! (omg that sounded gay haha)

Video card, the only thing I can suggest you is something like this:
If you are a gamer: ATI All-In-Wonder Radeon X1900 256MB PCI-E
If not: ATI All-In-Wonder X1300 Edition PCI-E

Make sure the Video card is PCI-E tough.

The Radeon X1900 seems to be a little scarce...are there other options? The video editing and converting I do is all hobby stuff and doesn't have to be top end equipment. Again, gaming would be top priority and the video editing/converting a second priority but still a requirement. Not being too familiar with this double video card setup can I put in a second card that does the video in stuff while the gaming card would handle the rest? Totally clueless on this so any help is appreciated.

yeah i do exactly zero video editing.
my rig is for gaming, period (and TF loL). i have sli 7900gs', and they work well for that. i dont see why a 7900gs or 8800 wouldn't work, though.

They don't have TV-in do they? With the all in wonder i run the cable TV in and as well can plug my mini DV video recorder in to the comp to transfer my home videos to the computer for editing and transfering to DVD, that's the primary reason.

Anyone know of other ways of doing this? If i went with the 8800 is there an adaptor or second card, PCI card maybe that I can use to run TV in as well as the mini DV recorder?

Stumped as it is and the ATI AIW X1900 is next to impossible to find around here.

lol, that's what I'm unsure of as well....I've always only bought all-in-wonder cards so I don't know anything else.

I think that's going to be the solution as the only ATI All in wonder X1900's i've found have been for around $400.00 or more and are out of stock. guessing that for that price i could get a better video card?

Maybe something like this is what I need to get as well:

Kworld DigitalAnalog HDTV Tuner PCI Card ATSC110 in Canada at TigerDirect.ca

Hauppauge WinTV-PVR-150 MCE PCI Card with NTSCFM Tuner 1042 in Canada at TigerDirect.ca

So now my question is: Am I better off getting the ATI AIW X1900 for around $400 or trying for the combo of two cards for that price.

A quick look on some canadian sites and I have the EVGA E-GEFORCE 8800GTS for about $320.00. $80 should be enough for the TV tuner. How does the 8800 stack up against the ATI AIW X1900 as far as straight gaming goes?

Video editting does not require a powerful graphics card.

3d rendering does...but not normal video editting. I edit with my crappy radeon 9200 for film contests and festivals all the time.

But...I input my video with firewire, not av...so I don't need the input...

I would look for the cheapest graphics card with an input.

Video editting does not require a powerful graphics card.

3d rendering does...but not normal video editting. I edit with my crappy radeon 9200 for film contests and festivals all the time.

But...I input my video with firewire, not av...so I don't need the input...

I would look for the cheapest graphics card with an input.

this is true........

Thanks guys, found my solution: My recorder has a firewire which i can hook up directly to the comp to dump my video, no card needed. As for the TV, as has been mentioned, some cheapo card will do as quality isn't a huge issue, just something to watch while surfing/typing.

Thanks all.

One more quick question, I was originally going to get a 700watt PSU but the 600 watt GamerXStream from OCZ is on sale at the local shop, 600watts is more than enough to run everything outlined for this build correct?

Recap:

Mobo: EVGA 590 SLI
CPU: AMD 64 Core 2 duo 3800+ Brisbane OC
Video1: EBGA 8800
Video2: random TV tuner
RAM: OCZ 2GB DDR-800mhz
Audio: SB audigy platinum 5.1
HD: Seagate barracuda 500GB
PSU: OCZ/GameXStream 600
Case: Cooler Master Centurion 5
DVD: Still shopping...
Cooling: Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 Pro