Cooling Issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sadisticmidget

Baseband Member
Hi guys. I am trying to find someone to give me a hand with some thermal issues I have been having with my processor. I am running a Pentium D @ 3.4ghz (not overclocking.)

My house has no air conditioning and it gets up to 100-105 degrees in the room my pc is in. It is a cooling nightmare. I have fans all over my case trying to keep my processor cool. It's just not working for me. My processor's temperature when IDLE is around 63-65 degrees Celsius. When I start to play games, such as Counter Strike: Source, my temp can go up to 75-80 degrees celsius. I have intel's desktop utilities running and when my temp gets above 75-76 degrees I get a warning that alt-tabs me out of my game telling me that my temperature is exceeding the maximum recommended temperature. I have comtemplated turning off the warning and ignoring my thermal problems but don't want to destroy my pc.

I basically want to know what you guys would do if you were in my situation. I start school in the fall and am saving for a car so I really can't afford to do too much work. I can afford to spend no more than 200-300 on upgrading my machine. I have thought about liquid cooling but have had some issues in the past with it. I want to know what I could do/buy to help, and if liquid cooling really makes that much of a temperature difference.

Thanks for taking the time to read my issue.

Hi guys. I am trying to find someone to give me a hand with some thermal issues I have been having with my processor. I am running a Pentium D @ 3.4ghz (not overclocking.)

My house has no air conditioning and it gets up to 100-105 degrees in the room my pc is in. It is a cooling nightmare. I have fans all over my case trying to keep my processor cool. It's just not working for me. My processor's temperature when IDLE is around 63-65 degrees Celsius. When I start to play games, such as Counter Strike: Source, my temp can go up to 75-80 degrees celsius. I have intel's desktop utilities running and when my temp gets above 75-76 degrees I get a warning that alt-tabs me out of my game telling me that my temperature is exceeding the maximum recommended temperature. I have comtemplated turning off the warning and ignoring my thermal problems but don't want to destroy my pc.

I basically want to know what you guys would do if you were in my situation. I start school in the fall and am saving for a car so I really can't afford to do too much work. I can afford to spend no more than 200-300 on upgrading my machine. I have thought about liquid cooling but have had some issues in the past with it. I want to know what I could do/buy to help, and if liquid cooling really makes that much of a temperature difference.

Thanks for taking the time to read my issue.

liquid cooling would drop ur temps a lot, that or u could get a cheap core 2 duo and get a nice af7 on it, assuming ur mobo is compatible

The problem with that is when I first bought all of my parts I went with Liquid Cooling. Like a true noob I bought a pre-made liquid cooling kit by Thermaltake. There was a hardware malfunction on 3 of the cpu waterblocks that I had replaced numerous times which caused it to leak. I threw out the liquid cooling and went with fan cooling. That is why I'm reluctant to go with liquid cooling again.

Do the core 2 duo's really run that much cooler? Also is there one that would match the power of my processor now that is affordable?

Edit: I'm not too up to date on processors...no need since I haven't had any money to spend. If the core 2 duo's run cooler, will this one work as well for gaming as my 3.4 Pentium D without overclocking? Newegg.com - Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 Conroe 2.4GHz 4M shared L2 Cache LGA 775 Processor - Retail

Edit again: I just looked at my motherboard and realized that I have an Intel d955xbk board. Which, according to intel's site, is not compatible with any of the core 2 duo processors. Unless I am mistaken. This basically means that I will not be able to upgrade because I simply cannot afford a new Mobo and Processor....*sigh* after I got my hopes up too. :( Unless any of you can find a combination of motherboard and processor that will cost me less than 300$ and get equal to or greater than the performance I am getting from my Pentium D, that means I'm stuck with looking for ways to cool down what I have.

No no.. forget the e6600 after July 22. Grab the e6750 as its going to be the next great overclocking CPU :) That is $183 the e6600 should drop lower but they haven't released a price on those.. yet.

$183+$130+$10(shipping)= $323 roughly.

You could always grab this:

DS3R - $130
E6320- $165.50
AF7 Pro - $20

Total = $325 with shipping costs but that will probably drop lower after 22 July as the e6320 should drop closer to $120 but that is only my guesstimation.

wow...that mobo is 130.00, can't afford that and a processor.....if that mobo supports my Pentuim D then it could work until I have enough to upgrade my processor....but I still need to find a way to keep my PC cool until then.

C2D are very cool when at stock...this is why such high overclocks are being achieved. A good air cooler such as the Arctic Freezer pro 7, or Tuniq Tower and water cooling is not needed.

Also Thats funny it was the Bigwater series Liquid cooler you got wasn't it? I hear about those springing leaks all the time.

Its not gonna matter what he buys if he doesn't get that Room temp down.. Water cooling will help alot for the CPU, but his other components gonna bake..

Get a Room air conditioner. A window unit..
If you do go water cooling and you DONT lower that room temp, your gonna need a water block on everything, ram, cpu, video card, NB, SB..

Agreed with Ste, even getting a window fan to pull in cooler air would help.. anything.. try taking your side panel off, and putting a box fan right next to your case. Freaking silicon must be melting off over there.. xD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom