New Build (Need Advice)

Status
Not open for further replies.

msaitta

Solid State Member
here is my proposed build. let me know what you think and if i should change anything or upgrade without going much higher in price. any feedback is much appreciated..

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz 2 x 4MB L2 Cache LGA 775

XCLIO GOODPOWER 500W ATX 500W Power Supply

GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3R LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard

Kingston HyperX 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)

EVGA 256-P2-N761-AR GeForce 8600GTS 256MB 128-bit GDDR3 HDCP

SAMSUNG Black 2MB Cache SATA DVD Burner With LightScribe Technology

SAMSUNG SpinPoint T HD501LJ 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s

Antec Nine Hundred

Tuniq Tower 120 P4 & K8 CPU Cooler

the only thing that im unsure of is the video card.. i don't play games but do some 3d graphics and rendering, as well watch movies and tv from the comp so im wondering if its worth spending the additional and get the 320mb version or is the current card sufficient for my needs. thanks.

I would suggest getting a 8800gts 320 or 640, or if you want to go all out buy the 8800gtx but keep in mind the 9 series is coming out soon...Also remember the price drop on intel processor on july 22.
Get g.skill ram instead or crucial. Also if you could afford it get a better psu and unless you need all those gbs id suggest getting the seagate 320gb hard drive.

If you don't game then the 8600GTS is a good card however the Quad-Cores take a nice chunk of power...double that of the Dual-Cores so I would suggest the RP550 right here instead...the extra few amps will give you clearance if you don't want to break the bank with a PSU.

Newegg.com - Rosewill RP550-2 ATX 2.01 550W Power Supply 115/230 V CSA, CB, TUV, FCC, UL - Retail

u went up the 3640mhz??? omg....

but ur right, quad-cores require extra juice u may wanna pick this up or the 520 corsair

thanks for the suggestions..

i am definitely going with the g.skill ram. i am still unsure of what psu i should use, as the responses have been split. is it worth spending a little more and going with the corsair or just go with the roswell or maybe even a ocz stealthxstream 600w ??

my other was would it worth it (lets say if i went with the less expensive psu) to spend the extra $30 and upgrade to the P35C-DS3R for DDR3 and 45nm support to save me some and money in the future??

finally, will the tuniq 120 fit in my case with my mobo? i have seen some posts where people were saying that it didn't fit in their case and everything, so i was wondering if anyone knew otherwise so that i could look into a different HSF before i buy this one. thanks for all your input, i really appreciate it.

get the rosewill 550watt like sora said and yeah get the ds3r mobo its sick, yeah the tuniq will fit

If you don't game then the 8600GTS is a good card

LOL

If he don't game then he should get something like 8400GS or HD2400Pro, those are good cards for non-gamers.

8600GTS is a gaming video card, it may not run all newest game on Max, but it is a gaming card, it can play many games on high setting with a decent fps

Quad-Cores take a nice chunk of power...double that of the Dual-Cores

Core 2 duo consume 65W, Q6600 consume 105W, and there will be a new revision of Q6600 that will consume 95W very soon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom