upgrading to AMD Opteron 165 Denmark

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you are not going to overclock do not get the Opty then. A better option would be this:

Newegg.com - AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600+ Windsor 2.4GHz 2 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM2 Processor - Retail

The optys are great because they overclock really well, but if your not going to you im pretty sure you will find better performance from this one. It only has half the L2 cache the opty 165 does, but is 600Mhz faster, which you will notice.

but thats socket AM2, he needs 939

Thanks, Vern... you beat me to it.

AM2 would require a new mobo and new RAM.

If you go with the Opty, great. if you decided to get a new mobo later, even better... Optys are great overclockers. Even if you don't overclock, the opty is a dual core, whereas you current CPU isn't.

The other reason i want this processor is because ..yes its dual-core and and has 1X2Mb cache. whereas mine is only 512.
So im hoping for a real good increase.
And if i get a new mobo...which one would you guys suggest...i dont want something too pricey. I have 4 slots of ram and all are used up.
So i cant afford to buy ram all over again. Anything within the range of 50-100. I prolly wont get now, but ill put it into consideration.
And with this mobo will it really increase performance?

for amd my two favortie CPU's are : x2 3600+ brisbane for the AM2's and the Opteron 165 for the 939.... they do some heavy overclocking, can combat core 2 duo's effectively...... is the opty 165 65nm or 90nm ???

i was wondering of you guys could give me a comparison between the processor i have and the opty. Like as much as possible. If not thats ok
Thanks

i was wondering of you guys could give me a comparison between the processor i have and the opty. Like as much as possible. If not thats ok
Thanks

an opty 165 would be overall better because, its dual-core and would do better in benchmarks and gaming fps

but thats socket AM2, he needs 939

Whoops, forgot about that.

Krazyq, you really should look at upgrading your mobo tho. Just getting the opty will increase your performance from the dual core and bigger cache, but if you want to use it to its full potential you would want to oc it. From memory the opty 165s can get to 3Ghz pretty easily.

If you just go the opty without a new mobo, you will see an increase, but only in the newest games which ultilize dual cores.

Whoops, forgot about that.

Krazyq, you really should look at upgrading your mobo tho. Just getting the opty will increase your performance from the dual core and bigger cache, but if you want to use it to its full potential you would want to oc it. From memory the opty 165s can get to 3Ghz pretty easily.

If you just go the opty without a new mobo, you will see an increase, but only in the newest games which ultilize dual cores.

and benchmarks :)

can you guys suggest me in any mobos that arent overly priced?
I might not upgrade right away, but ill put it into consideration.

Newegg.com - Foxconn 6150K8MA-8EKRS Socket 939 NVIDIA GeForce 6150 Micro ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail

I came across this one and im wondering if thats the best i can get for the price?

To come to think about it...i should have just bought a new pc instead of upgrading processor, gfx card, ram....

o well.
i dont have that much money now...im looking for a job real bad, ill go for anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom