XP repeatidly reboots , help !!

Status
Not open for further replies.

shuggy2007

Beta member
Hi Folks, let me give you a brief ( if i can ) rundown on current events.

My setup currently is :

FX-53 ( 940 pin ) cpu
Sk8v 940 pin mobo
X800 pro ATI GPU
2 x 512 corsair ram
1 x adaptec 21960N SCSI
1 x Seagate cheetah 36.7 GB HD
1 x 80 GB WD
1 x 200GB WD
SOundblaster audigy sound card
Enermax 600 Watt CPU
Zalman cpu cooler ( the big huge one !!)

Basically what happened one day was my scsi decided to pack in and die. It was making awful noises so i removed it, and managed to back everything on my other 2 WD HD's onto an external Freecom 500GB that I bought.

After backing all the info up, I tried to run XP pro ( fresh install ) onto my 80gb HD , after installing fine, I installed Zone alarm. spyware and my GPU drivers. When I restarted my pc it kept rebooting about 2 seconds after the WIndows logo upon booting. I then re-installed it and kept getting the same thing. Occasionally it would boot ( once/twice ) but mainly reboot. Doing my head in I then decided to use my 200GB HD thinkinh 80gb is faulty.

However I then got a unmountable boot volume error several times when tried to install XP so i gave up and started on the 80gb again. I was thinking how could all my 3 HD's go faulty at the same time ? I even got the unmountable boot volume error twice when i tried my 80gb again. but then that seemed to go away and it just kept rebooting. It worked fine in safe mode though. I thought initially it was my XP CD, so I got my hands on another copy but same problems. I fully formatted my HD and tried again but same problems. I also thought it was driver problems since when I booted it from fresh install it worked, but that idea was also out of the window.

SO then i bought a cheap used HD ( Seagate 20gb) and that ran absolutely fine with NO reboots. Only problem there was that it was running very very slow, so slow you could see the start menu slowly appear from the background. I just thought that was because it was an old HD ( i think it was like 5 years old).

So then I bought a new WD 250GB HD, stuck it in a master only, upon booting up I get " boot sector virus : Continue Y/N " error, I didnt have a choice so I continued. ( I have removed my scsi adapter at this point) In windows setup, as it was a new HD, I did a full format to NTFS and continued, before windows reboots after installing the boot files, the error came up AGAIN which I continued again. When it then rebooted, i didnt get the error. WIndows installed fine, but then one instance afterwards when I installed my graphics drivers it rebooted. I turned it off then back on and it worked. Now its back into the loop contantly rebooting after installing PC Cillin 2007 trial.

This is seriously doing my gonads in and im soooooo close to just building a new core2duo pc.

My questions are :

How can a brand new HD have a boot sector virus ? esp after i did a full format yet still....

The drivers that I use are the latest one's from the website that I d/led.I've tried running the minimum ( except the ram ) . yet still same problems.

any help will be welcomed !!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom